Chapter 14. Above but below.

Jesse's POV.

Daizy didn't look like she was joking, not at all! To be fair, it was her most angry and serious expression I've seen so far. Her light blue eyes were shining like a steel, her lips were pressed so they formed a thin line. Where was that innocent, naive child that had been amazed by the sunset? How could she be so scared but so threatening at the same time?

I gulped, ready to explain. I even opened my mouth - but shut it. What could I possibly tell that girl that wouldn't scare or confuse her even more? She was my only hope right now, my only chance to be saved. Now I only had not to screw everything up, and, knowing me, it would be almost impossible.

- Well? - Daizy raised her voice, impatient. - Explain!
- Alright, alright! -I held my hands out, in the sign of surrender. No need to scare her even more. - I-I-I...
I suddenly felt a loss of words.
- I don't even know where to start... - I confessed, rubbing the back of my head.
She rolled her eyes in pure irritation:
- You can start from the very beginning.

Right.

- Yeah, sure. - I nodded, coming closer to her. - So, uh, it all started a little while ago.
She sighed and sat down on something I supposed to be bed. Seeing that she wasn't going to interrupt, I continued:
- I was a mayor of a town...
- Now, hold on! - Daizy raised her eyebrow. - What's a "mayor"? And what's a "town"?
Oh, yeah. She didn't understand some things - heck, she was only a couple days old!

- Well, a town is a place where lot of people live together. - I sighed. - And a mayor is the ruler, the leader.
- So, there are more people? I thought we were the only ones!
- No, no. - I huffed. - There are much, much more! But they are...
It occured to me that I didn't want to confuse her by telling about different worlds.
- They are very far from here.

Okay, now she was finally listening.
- So, uh, my friends and I were living peaceful lives. That is, until one day we found a person... Which wasn't actually human. He, erm, he called himself "The Admin". And he had powers - amazing powers, but he used them to hurt people...
- You mean, powers like yours? - Daizy asked again.
- Just... - I closed my eyes, concentraining. - Let me finish, alright?

The girl nodded, and I took it for permisson to speak.
- So, this Admin, he wanted me to be his Champion - his friend. I refused. I didn't like the way she used his powers. And that made him really, really mad.
I paused for a second, considering wheather I should tell this girl about the Underneath, Xara, Sunshine Institute and everything like that. After all, this information wasn't as important to her, so it would be better not to cloud her mind.

- So, he started to hurt people...
- Why?
That was not the question I expected to hear.
- What do you mean? - I raised an eyebrow.
- Why did he hurt people? - Daizy repeated as if it was the most obvious thing to ask.
- Um, yeah, because he's evil. - I shrugged. - That's just the way he is. He wants everyone to do what he wants.
- It doesn't sound very - The girl seemed to look for a right word. - Logical.

At that point I literally refused to understand her. She expected Romeo - the all-powerful creature to behave according to simple logic?! What was wrong with this girl?!
- Yes. - I simply agreeded. - Anyway, he started to hurt my people and my friends. I couldn't let him do that. So, quick version: we found a weapon, a thing that could take away his powers...
- Have you tried talking to him?

I froze for a moment.
- Yes. - I nodded. - It didn't help. Now, can I continue or will you interrupt me again?
She furrowed her eyebrows, tightening the grip on the handle of the mirror.
- You do remember I can simply turn you in? - Her voice sounded threatening. How the hell?!
- Right. - I stepped back, acknowledging her power. - Sorry, I'm just a little nervous.
- Yeah, me too. - Daizy smiled weakly.