This can't be my future! (Chapter 11)

Hunters’ POV

~~Dream~~

“Ready or not, here I come!” I called out in excitement. I was five years old playing hide-and-seek in my old house with my Dad. I jumped from my bed and began searching. I went straight to my parents’ room. My Dads’ baseball cap stuck out from beneath the covers. I giggled quietly and tiptoed over to the edge of the bed. One…two…three, I pounced on the bed and ripped the covers back revealing a pile of pillows. I picked up my Dads cap and pouted, he tricked me. I caught a glimpse of my Dad running past the door laughing.

“Hey! No fair Papa!” I yelled jumping from the bed. I skipped down the stairs and into the living room. His jacket stuck out from the top of the couch. I wasted no time as I ran and leapt over the back of the couch.

“Gotcha!” I squealed in excitement as I landed on…the cushion? Aw poop, he tricked me again. I threw the cushion on the floor and slid off the couch. A blur quickly flew past the doorway into the kitchen, laughing mockingly. I scurried after him, hoping to catch him before he disappears again. I entered the kitchen just in time to see the backdoor slamming shut.

“There’s nowhere to hide in the yard silly-billy!” I yelled happily. I opened the backdoor and bounced outside. However, I wasn’t standing in my backyard; I was standing in the middle of an abandoned city. I spun around to go back inside but my house was no longer there. I ran a hand though my fiery hair and looked down at myself. I wasn’t five years old anymore; I was my normal sixteen year old self. Without realising it I was walking through the empty streets. The buildings were old and dilapidated; seeming so fragile one touch could make them crumble. Cars were toppled over and stripped of most of their parts. The road had large chunks of concrete missing; allowing the grass to grow.

Screams echoed through the air, followed by maniacal laughter. Crowds of people materialised from thin air, all rushing in a state of panic. Skitters chased them through the streets, slaughtering whoever got in their way. I saw members of the 2nd Mass among the crowd. Tom Mason led the small group, dragging a pregnant Anne behind him. Hal carried an unconscious Maggie in his arms. Matt was older and ran beside his father, offering cover fire. Bringing up the rear was my Dad. He was bleeding profusely and hobbled along with a limp. Ben was nowhere to be seen. I screamed but no sound came out. I tried again but nothing changed.

“They can’t hear you” a chilling voice said. It was a feminine voice, slow and calm. 

I turned to find a hooded figure standing before me. “W-who are you? What is this!?”

The person cocked their head to the side slowly before slowly replying “You mean… you don’t recognize me?”

I shook my head side-to-side, a look of confusion on my face.

She stepped towards me. I tried stepping back but I couldn’t move, it’s like my feet were nailed to the ground. She stopped till she was only an arm’s length away.

“That’s understandable, I suppose. I have changed after all.” Even though I couldn’t see her face, I could hear by her voice that she was smiling. She gripped the sides of her hood and flicked it back, revealing her identity. I gasped in shock, or fear, or both! No! This isn’t real! It’s not possible! 

“No…no, this isn’t…it’s a dream. I have to wake up! Wake up, wake up, wake up!” I fell to my knees and patted my face.

I, or the girl that looked exactly like me, crouched in front of me with a sadistic smile on her face. “This isn’t a dream, Hunter.”