One hell of a dream (Chapter 23) (Part 3)

Mum was right, a shower really did help. I was now more willing to accept the fact that it was all in my head. I can’t believe I got so involved in the whole silly thing. Alien invasion, haha I should’ve known something like that could never happen. I’m so stupid.

Sliding my ‘Zombies need love too’ shirt over my head, I couldn’t help but think about Ben. Did I make him up too? It’s hard to believe that I could make up someone that perfect, but I didn’t know him before the invasion, well fictional invasion, so he had to imaginary. A tear slipped down my cheek. The one guy I actually loved and he turns out to be some figment of my imagination. What kind of sick joke is that?! I sat down on the edge of my bed, grabbed my pillow and held it tightly against my chest, rocking back and forth gently.

A knock on the door interrupted my thoughts. Looking up made the tears stop and a smile spread across my face. My Dad stood in the doorway, wearing a plain white t-shirt and grey baggy sweatpants, and a candy cane sticking out of his mouth. Wait a minute, I thought him and Mum got divorced…or did I make that up too?

He removed the cane from his mouth “cheer up, baby-girl. It’s Christmas Eve. You’re usually wearing a Santa hat by now, and running around outside trying to stuff your sisters’ mouth full of snow.”

I wiped the tears away with a laugh. I remember doing that every time Christmas rolled ‘round. Usually Sophia would have made one of her usual snarky remarks and I’d tackle her to the ground, trying to shovel a handful of snow down her gullet. She’d scream and kick, cry and beg. It was hilarious! Except for one year when she bit me…that was just rude.

I jumped from my bed and tackled my Dad into a tight hug. He chuckled and ruffled my hair. “I gotta idea” he said quietly and ushered me into the hallway. He peeked over the stair banister and back down at me, a mischievous glint in his eyes “here’s what we do…” he whispered his plan into my ear and I grinned, rubbing my hands together. Sophia is going down!

**********************************

“Mum!? Sophia?! Come quickly, please, it’s an emergency!” I screamed as I ran into the kitchen. Mum and Sophia both jumped from fright and stared wide-eyed at me. My voice shook as I spoke “it’s Dad. Something happened, but I don’t know what. He’s outside, quickly!”

“Oh, Dan…” Mum gasped and quickly left the kitchen. Sophia dropped her phone and followed suit. We all ran outside to the front lawn to find Dad lying face down in the snow, unmoving. Mum and Sophia ran over to him while I tiptoed over to the hose. Silently turning on the tap, I raised the nozzle in front of me, waiting.

“Now!” Dad screamed. Mum and Sophia glanced over their shoulders just in time to get water in their face. Both of them shrieked, a high-pitched, near glass shattering sound, as they tried blocking themselves. Dad rolled on the snow, laughing his head off. After a few more shrieks I turned the water off. Mum and Sophia stood there shivering. Gee, if looks could kill I wouldn’t be standing right now.

“Hunter…” Mum began.

“…I’m going to kill you!” Sophia finished, stomping her foot.

“What’s that Sophia? You want me to do it again?” I smirked evilly and sprayed her again.

“Hunter! I’m going…to…get you for…this!” She said between all her coughing and spluttering.

“That’s enough, Hunter!” Mum said, placing both hands on her hips.

I threw the hose to the ground, unable to wipe the grin off my face. Mum turned to face Dad just as he was getting to his feet.

“I cannot believe you actually encourage this type of behaviour, Dan. Hunter is a young lady and young ladies should not be behaving in such a boorish manner.”