Skitter talk (Chapter 15)

Hunters’ POV

“What I don’t understand is; why didn’t Old Spock go to the station and warn Starfleet about the impending destruction of Vulcan?” I asked Ben as walked side-by-side through the halls.

Ben scratched the top of his head and looked down at me “I’m not sure. Maybe because Spock was depressed and found the situation pointless in an alternate timeline that he didn’t have a connection to. He was content to ride out his fate until the arrival of Kirk made him realize he had a purpose in the alternate timeline. What were you thinking?”

“Your reason sounds pretty spot on. Though I was thinking it may had to do with the fact that Spock at this point was old, fragile, and possibility disillusioned. He might have been driven into a hermit-like isolationism and not want to go to Starfleet, regardless of the importance of his message.” I answered thoughtfully.

Ben silently nodded in agreement before smiling down at me.

“What?” I asked feeling slightly self-conscious under his intense gaze.

“Nothing, I just like looking at you. That’s all” he smiled making me blush and look ahead of me.

He grasped my hand in his. I looked down at our entwined fingers and back into his hazel eyes. He quickly swooped down and pecked my lips. My eyes widened as my hand flew to my mouth. Ben chuckled so I smacked his arm.

“What the hell are you doing?!” I whispered urgently. “My Dad would freak out if he thought something was going on between us!” I looked around wildly thinking my Dad would round the corner at that very moment.

Ben blinked and cocked his head to the side. God, he looks so cute when he does that. “But, there is something going on between us…isn’t there?”

I stopped dead in my tracks and stared at him. “I…don’t know” I answered truthfully. Of course I wanted there to be something between us, I just didn’t want to presume that there was and then have it all be one big misunderstanding.

Ben released my hand and shoved both of his hands into the pockets of his jeans. He bit his lower lip before speaking “I’m sorry, Hunter. I thought since we kissed last night that, I dunno….” His shoulders slumped and he shifted uncomfortably “…guess it didn’t mean the same to you as it did to me” he replied solemnly and began walking away.

I grabbed his wrist quickly making him glance back at me over his shoulder “Ben, you seriously think…” I trailed off as I noticed a small group of girls staring at us. I dragged him off to the side and moved closer so he could hear me “…you seriously think that what happened between us last night meant nothing to me?”

“Yes, I do.”

Once those words left his lips, I felt my hear sink. I opened my mouth to speak but I was at a loss for words. I probably looked like an idiot, standing there with my mouth opening and closing like a fish. Ben shook his head and walked away.

“Ben?!” I called but he ignored me.  “Ben!” I was on the verge of tears. What’s wrong with me? I always end up ruining everything good in my life. The group of girls stood there, each one of them looking me up and down.

“What are you looking at?!” I snapped and stomped down the halls towards the Infirmary. Luckily there wasn’t anybody there when I arrived, except for that stupid Skitter. I was in no mood to deal with people right now. I collapsed on my cot and buried my face into the pillow. Tears erupted from eyes and soon enough my pillow was soaked.

Hunter

I raised my head and scanned the room. That’s weird…I could’ve sworn I heard my name. It must have been my imagination.