Chapter Seven: Cause and Effect

Music is "Lost In The Moment" by NF feat. Andreas Moss.

Picture is Tony and Natasha from Captain America: Civil War.

···········

CHAPTER SEVEN: Cause and Effect

"Secretary Ross has a Congressional Medal of Honor, which is one more than you have."

It's been a couple hours since the Avengers, as a team, have tried to talk through the Sokovia Accords. What once was a civilized debate about the pros and cons about what we knew has disintegrated into a petty argument about rank and file.

Steve and I have tried to read through the document, looking for fine print or ambiguity, while Sam and Rhodey are nearly at each other's throat. Natasha and Tony are sitting on various chairs, and Wanda and Vision are seated beside each other. As Grant passes by the glass door, I shake my head, telling him to stay out. His face falls, but he nods. This isn't something I want him to see, the Avengers falling apart from the inside.

"So, let's say we agree to this thing," Sam states, responding to Rhodey's shot at his character and lack of Congressional Medal. "How long is it gonna be before they LoJack us like a bunch of common criminals?"

I hear Tony sigh a from a few feet away. When I look up from the Accords, I see him covering half his face with his hand as his eyes roll into the back of his head. He's just as done with these debates as I am.

"One-hundred-and-seventeen countries want to sign this," Rhodey points out. "One-hundred-and-seventeen, Sam, and you're just like, 'No, that's cool. We got it.'"

I look up from the document once again to look Rhodey dead in the eye. "This document was not drafted, approved, and supported by 117 countries in a week. Them keeping this from us until a disaster and bad press cycle is one-hundred percent intentional. This is so common in American politics that it makes me sick. It's called 'pork barreling,' you know, and it's a tool of manipulation."

"I know what it is, Sergeant Barnes," Rhodey replies, as respectfully as he can manage. "But does it matter when or how they bring it to us so long as they do? This is good for the world, and isn't that what we're here to protect? The world?"

I shake my head sharply. "Not like this. How can we even know that this Accords is actually what they say it is? There could be fine print that hurts everyone, including us. Wasn't Project Insight approved by the World Security Council and SHIELD? But there was fine print there that said, "Yeah, we might kill a few million people, but sure we're protecting the world.' I haven't forgotten that, and I guarantee that Sam, Natasha, and Steve haven't either. That was their mess, not ours, but we cleaned it up anyway."

Sam nods. "Finally, a voice of reason."

"So you'd rather just...kick it to the curb."

"No," I respond. "But we weren't given enough time to judge this document fairly. Politics is a game. You spring a last-minute decision on someone and say, 'If you don't accept this, there are punishments, and sure you can make changes but you have to make them in less than three days.' That's an ultimatum, and it's what bullies do."

"You constantly said that you were willing to pay for your sins," Rhodey replies. "I read your file, the things you did in your past as Lady Justice. If anyone knows how dangerous someone with enhanced abilities can be without boundaries, it's you."

I nod, eyes averting his for a moment. "I think I have paid for what I've done. I have served this country for longer than you, your parents, probably even your grandparents have, Colonel Rhodes. But my actions are my own. Past, present, and future: I am my mistakes. The Sokovia Accords just lets me shift them onto the government, or the UN, or whoever the bloody hell they decide should keep us in check."