Chapter Eighteen: United We Stand

Music is "The Other Side" by Ruelle.

Picture is an fan-edit of Romanogers.

···········

CHAPTER EIGHTEEN: United We Stand

Stealing a car was the easy part. Driving to the outskirts of Berlin, undetected by the millions of cameras throughout the city was the hard part. After we made a plan, Grant showed us what he took from the Quinjet before he abandoned it. He took smart choices, such as communicators, substitute weapons for our usual gear, and an extra pair of hover-boots I was especially glad about the latter.

From there, Steve drove carefully, keeping us off the main roads. Sam sat in the passenger's seat, Bucky behind him, me beside Bucky, and Grant in the very back of the 90s Chevrolet Uplander.

Our mission is to get to the airport. There, we'll meet up with Clint. Steve contacted him with one of the communication devices Grant swiped, and he promised to bring reinforcements. From the airport, we'll take an aircraft to Siberia, where we'll stop the impostor psychologist from awaking the other Winter Soldiers.

Along the way, Grant makes a hissing noise. I turn to look at him, seeing him fumbling with the earpiece. "God damn you, Sharon," he mutters. "Stop hacking my com!"

"Sharon?" I ask, confused.

Grant holds a finger up, listening intently. "She says to stop under the next overpass. She has our gear with her."

Steve nods and does as Grant says, pulling under the next overpass that comes up on the road. It's well-hidden and out of sight of the traffic on the highway. Sure enough, Sharon Carter is parked out of sight, but I see another familiar figure in the passenger's seat.

Natasha Romanoff.

They both exit as Steve puts the car in park. He slips from the vehicle, the rest of us remaining put.

"Not sure you understand the concept of a getaway car," she laughs.

"It's low profile," Steve defends, eyeing Natasha as she steps from the vehicle. "I thought you stood with Tony."

Natasha gives her signature side-smirk, walking closer as Sharon opens the trunk of her car. "I stand with my family," she states plainly, looking to the rest of us in the van. "If the Accords has already split us apart with no hope of return, then I have no loyalty to the Accords. I never agreed with them in the first place, just wanted us to stay together."

Steve smiles softly, then eyes the trunk. "Anything fun in there?"

Sharon grins over her shoulder. "Only stuff that tends to draw a crowd." When she opens the trunk, I see Sam's Falcon suit and wings, Steve's uniform and shield, my uniform and bowstaff, and a black tactical suit that's most likely for Bucky.

Beside me, Sam lets his seat back a few inches, just enough to annoy Bucky and give him less leg room. "Can you move your seat up?" he asks, glaring at Sam

Sam keeps his eyes ahead. "No."

Bucky moves over to sit in the middle seat, one space closer to me, and kicks the back of Sam's seat as he moves.

I roll my eyes. "You are four year olds."

Bucky gives a boyish grin, and suddenly I'm back in 1943 again. I turn away from him, looking back through the windshield to Natasha, Sharon, and Steve.

Sharon mouths, "Sorry," to Grant, and he laughs, waving it off.

Steve thanks her, and she hops back in the car. He turns to Natasha, looking down at his feet. "They're going to come looking for you," he tells her.