Chapter Thirteen: Pick Your Fights

Music is "When It's All Over" by RAIGN.

Picture is Tatiana Maslany as Emma Barnes.

···········

CHAPTER THIRTEEN: Pick Your Fights

{June 3, 2016 -- Present Day}

B U C H A R E S T

Steve lands on the roof behind me, and bullets rain down from a chopper overhead. Bucky grabs my uniform and pulls me down and under the protection of a metal wall, out of the line of fire.

"Sam," Steve says.

"Got him."

Sam takes out the chopper, and Bucky gets up from our hiding place. He runs over the edge of the building, away from the man trying to kill him.

But the man follows him.

I wave for Steve to follow, taking off towards the edge of the building. I slip down the side, using the edges of roofs and balconies to smooth my descent, never having missed my hover-boots more.

Bucky lands on the street first, then the masked man. He still pursues him, picking up the pace. I land after them both, and Steve rolls to the ground beside me. We run as fast as we can to keep up with the duo. Gunfire from another chopper forces Bucky into an underground highway. The man in the black suit follows, so do Steve and I.

We dodge cars driving at high speeds. Steve takes off for Bucky and the man, but I don't have the super-speed to keep up with them both. Instead, I stand in front of the Special Forces car that follows us and use the two pieces of my bowstaff to break the front window. The car stops, and I drag the driver out onto the highway, kick out the windshield, and take off after them.

I slow beside Steve, opening the passenger's door. "Get in!" I shout.

Steve does as I ask, hopping in. I hit the gas, accelerating our speed until we catch the mystery man.

Steve eyes the pieces of my signature weapon in my lap. "He did that?"

I nod, dodging another car. "Vibranium claws, I suspect. Whoever this bloke is, he means business."

When we try to pass him, he jumps onto the back of the car. I try to throw him off, but he hangs on.

"Sam, we can't shake this guy," I state.

"Right behind you!"

At least a dozen more police cars, sirens wailing, join the chase. I try to drive around them, but they ram into the black sedan, trying to herd me away from the highway. I push back.

Up ahead, I see Bucky jump over a barrier to get away from the cops. I follow, driving through the barrier. All the other cops are forced to stop.

When we exit the underground pass, Bucky grabs a motorcycle from a cyclist, flips it around, and starts driving away. I keep on his tail, careening away from incoming traffic.

"Is that man still on our tail?" I ask.

Steve looks over his shoulder. "Yeah."

We drive into another underpass, and the man attached to the back of the car slides onto the roof. Before Steve and I can react, the man has jumped onto the front of the car and then onto Bucky. Bucky catches him and fling him away and kicks him off the bike. Behind us, I see the black suited man grab onto Sam's leg.

"Emma, watch out!" Steve screams, grabbing the wheel of the car.

When I turn my eyes back to the road, I see Bucky throw a bomb up to the roof of the pass. It explodes, causing the underpass to cave in at the exit. I turn the steering wheel hard, grabbing the pieces of my bowstaff as the car flips. Steve and I use the narrow window to escape out the open windshield, trying to outrun the flipping car.