Chapter Twenty-One: The Widow's Bite

Music is "Journey (Ready To Fly)" by Natasha Blume.

Picture is Tatiana Maslany as Emma Barnes.

···········

CHAPTER TWENTY-ONE: The Widow's Bite

{January 4, 2016 -- Present Day}

B E R L I N

"I didn't kill your father."

"Then why did you run?"

"Maybe because you bloody chased him?"

I pick up Steve's shield as he goes hand-to-hand with Tony, tossing it towards Black Panther. T'Challa flies backwards from the hit, and the shield ricochets back to Steve's grasp. I take my spot beside Bucky, drawing my bowstaff in a defensive position with my feet firmly planted on the ground.

"With all due respect for the King of Wakanda, back the bloody hell off."

T'Challa doesn't verbally reply, only starts running towards Bucky once again. I twist in front of Bucky, swinging my bowstaff against the Black Panther. I avoid the claws, remembering what happened to my favored weapon the last time I tried to block them. Instead, Bucky and I tag-team, each of us taking a side of Black Panther.

For a moment, it works. Then Black Panther grabs my bowstaff and tosses it across the battlefield. I pull up my gloved fists, throwing punches. Bucky does the same, but Black Panther grabs him by the fist and sends him flying. I use the opportunity to move in, striking his weak points behind his knees and in his ribs. Black Panther kicks me back into a wall of cargo, then lunges for my throat with his vibranium claws.

I close my eyes and prepare for the pain, but it never comes. I open my eyes just in time to see Bucky tackle T'Challa from behind, using the weight of his metal arm to send Black Panther to the ground. Wanda uses her magic to throw Black Panther into the nearby jet, finishing the job.

I give a nod of thanks to Wanda, and she returns it, running off to help someone else. Bucky quickly jumps to his feet, scurrying over to me. He bends down, grasping my hands. "My turn: are you okay?"

His blue eyes search mine, and for a moment I'm lost. Eventually, I stammer, "Y-Yeah. I'm all right."

Bucky hesitates a moment, then helps me up. "We need to get Steve and hustle."

"Agreed," I nod, turning to look at the battles waged around us. "Where is he?"

Bucky points behind me, towards the jet where Wanda threw T'Challa. "There. Fighting the Spider-Kid."

"I believe he said he was Spider-Man," I reply with a chuckle, turning to run towards Steve alongside him.

Bucky sneers, rolling his eyes. "His voice cracks every two words. He's Spider-Kid. When he gets out of puberty, then maybe he can be called Spider-Man."

I let out a laugh, and we hurry over to Steve, dodging weapon-fire from multiple sources. The three of us duck behind the jet's loading dock.

"We gotta go," Bucky insists. "That guy's probably in Siberia by now."

"We gotta draw out the flyers," Steve replies, gazing upwards. "I'll take Vision, you get to the jet with Emma."

"Grant's already there prepping us for flight," I inform him.

"Your kid knows how to fly a freakin' plane?" Bucky asks.

"He has help but he's a quick learner."