Chapter Ten: My Everything

Music is "A Quiet Darkness" by Houses.

Picture is Tatiana Maslany as Emma Barnes.

···········

CHAPTER TEN: My Everything

After the burial, Natasha leaves in the Quinjet for Vienna, Austria. The United Nations will be signing the Sokovia Accords in less than an hour, and I can't help but feel that this is going to change the Avengers forever.

Around the time the United Nations should be assembling, Sam, Steve, Grant, and I walk with Sharon Carter back to her hotel. Steve escorts her to the elevator, making casual conversation, while I hang back with Sam and Grant to get a coffee in the Starbucks of the hotel lobby.

"Early grey with cream, please," I order. I turn to Grant. "What do you want?"

Grant steps up to the counter. "Iced capachino, two pumps vanilla, two pumps espresso."

"Names?" the barista asks.

"Emma," he replies, pointing to me. "Grant. Sam, you want anything?"

Sam chuckles, shaking his head. "Nah, man. I already had a cup of jo before I left the hotel. Decaf. I'm cutting back on caffeine."

Grant gives a disgusted look to Sam. "Ew, why?"

"'Cause some of us can actually die."

The barista makes our drinks, and we take our seats in the lobby as we wait. On the television hanging above the lobby, I see news footage of the United Nations building. A label at the top of the screen tells me that the video is live. I see every kind of newscaster on the screen, from every country and city. The Accords have become a huge deal over the past few days.

I roll my eyes and turn my attention back to Sam and Grant. "I wish I could say I can't wait until this is over, but I have a terrible feeling that things are only going to get worse."

Sam nods in agreement, his eyes flickering up to the screen. "Looks like they're about to get started."

"Good riddance," Grant mutters. "Lagos was Rumlow's fault. Sokovia was Ultron's. Washington was HYDRA's. New York was Loki's. When will people learn that you are the good guys?"

I place a hand on his, giving him a small smile. I can see the frustration in his face and body language. I don't have to wonder for long where he got that from. "We made mistakes, too."

He shakes his head sharply. "Not like this. Sanctions like the Accords are what you do to war criminals. I learned that from the books you wrote about your life. This reminds me more of a post-War Europe."

"You write?" Sam asks, a pleasant yet surprised smile on his face.

I grin and shrug. "A little. Mostly documenting my lifetime and stories so I don't forget."

"I thought you had photographic memory."

I shake my head. "That's Steve. He got the perfect memory and super-strength and speed due to the vita rays combined with Abraham Erskine's serum. Since I only had the serum, not the rays, I'm only immortal."

Sam scoffs. "Only. Have you published any of your works?"

I laugh, "No, no. For the longest time, I was on America's Most Wanted, remember? And then I got busy with SHIELD and HYDRA, then I was in a two-year coma. Haven't really had a time to edit any manuscripts lately."

Sam nods, understanding. "Well, you should, when everything settles down. You're not a criminal anymore, Emma. You're not wanted or under cover or in hiding. And nothing you did for SHIELD is secret anymore. I'm sure the world would love to hear your story."