Chapter Eight: Lifetimes

Music is "Let It All Go" By RHODES and Birdy.

Picture is Tom Selleck as Dum Dum Dugan.

···········

CHAPTER EIGHT: Lifetimes

{February 8, 1991 -- Twenty-Five Years Ago}

R I O  D E  J A N E I R O

The Stark penthouse suite on Copacabana Beach is one of the three mid-century marvels that Howard has bought in South America. I've stayed in a few of his homes all over the world, thanks to his generosity and insistence that we take use of them now that he rarely ever does. However, this is the first penthouse suit, and the first in South America.

The face of the building is luxurious, and while Howard doesn't own the entire building, the top two floors are his. The penthouse suite is on the fifth floor. I make my way to the private Stark elevator and take it to the fifth floor. When the doors open, I can see most of the floor from the entrance.

It's open concept, filled with strange, space-age furniture Howard bought on an auction. They're mostly white and bright orange, in strange shapes like half-spheres and saucers. The carpet is dark blue with cartoon-ish space patters--moons and planets and asteroids. The walls are white with circular framed-pictures of Maria and Tony over the years.

The kitchen is off to the left, an open space with stainless steel equipment and grey cabinets. The counters are made of a similar grey metal, and the back-splash is made of white tile. The two bedrooms are off to the right of the living room, and even though I can't see them, I know they have the same sci-fi, Star Trek theme as the rest of the penthouse. Behind the bedrooms is a sauna room big enough to fit Howard and whoever else he invites over.

The balcony extends from the fifth floor, outside the sliding glass doors. The same furniture decorates the exterior of the penthouse. A spiral, exterior staircase leads to the rooftop pool, bar, and heavily armed Sikorsky helicopter that's prepped and ready to fly at a moment's notice.

I always knew Howard had a taste for the finer things, but after spending half a dozen trips in his homes all over the world, I've come to realize he's even more spoiled than I originally thought.

But I love that spoiled man.

I find Rose and Dum Dum snooping through the kitchen, searching the already full-stocked refrigerator. I smile at them from the doorway as they playfully swat each other away from the best snacks, both laughing and smiling at the other. They're just as in love today as they were on the day they were married.

Though they have the same bold personalities and interesting character that they have all their lives, they've matured and aged over the years. Rose is sixty-five years old, and Dum Dum is ten years her senior. Despite their age, they're both sound of mind and healthy.

Rose's once pale blonde hair has turned to a shade of silver. She's still slender and tiny as she ever was, though her hands are noticeably rougher from her work as an engineer. Motherhood and age has given her more curve around her chest and hips. The most lovely curve, one that she's always had, is her smile. Despite all she's seen and gone through, it's just as bright as it was when she was twelve years old.

Dum Dum has also aged well, not having lost the rugged handsomeness and southern charm he's had since the day I met him. He still dons his bowler hat, still wears his thick mustache. The only difference now is the smile lines around his mouth, crow's feet stretching from his eyes, and the dark grey hair that's replaced the red. He still speaks the same, but there's a grandfather essence to him. He's become a wise man over the past fifty years.