Chapter Twenty-Eight: Our War Is Over

Music is "Run To You" by Lea Michele.

Picture is Tatiana Maslany as Emma Barnes.

···········

CHAPTER TWENTY-EIGHT: Our War Is Over

{January 5, 2016 -- Present Day}

S I B E R I A

When we first leave the bunker through the elevator where we entered, I see nothing except for a a blizzard on the horizon, moving fast across the Russian mountains. I see no craft, no escape route, not even a working snow mobile. The tires of the machine that Zemo took are slashed with what appears to be claws.

I turn sharply to Steve, who has Bucky held in one arm. "T'Challa's here."

Bloodied and exhausted, Steve asks, "Where's Grant?"

"Gone, I hope," I reply, looking around. I lift the wrist com to my mouth. "Grant, if you can hear me, answer." I pause, awaiting an answer. Nothing. I repeat my request. "Grant, answer me. Please. We need a ride."

The com sputters white noise in response. "Bloody hell," I curse. "He must be out of range. It could be the storm." I look back over to Steve. "What do we do? Where can we go?"

Steve shakes his head slowly, trying to come up with a solution. "I...I...don't know."

"Where's Natasha?"

"I have no idea. Probably on the run. She helped us escape. They'd come for her."

My gaze softens. "We'll find her, Steve. I promise. First, we have to get out of here."

Steve nods, forcing a small smile. "She can handle herself. It's part of the reason I fell for her."

Bucky turns towards Steve with what energy he can muster. "The redhead?"

"Yes, the redhead," Steve replies, rolling his eyes. "Focus. We need to find Grant, then we need to get out of here."

"Perhaps I could be of assistance."

The voice of Prince T'Challa sends my hand flying towards my back holster. It's only when I grasp at nothing that I move for the glock at my side. I turn around and aim it towards the originator of the statement. T'Challa stands with a cuffed and gagged man in his custody. Some kind of foreign tech is over his ears, probably to keep him from hearing any conversations we have.

He has Zemo.

I move in front of Steve and Bucky, trying to ignore the pain in my skull. "Don't even think about hurting Bucky again," I warn.

T'Challa raises his free hand, a peaceful gesture. "I know it was not Barnes who killed my father. This man was responsible." He pulls Zemo ahead, showing his prisoner. "I am done letting vengeance consume me. For what it did to you, Barnes, I am truly sorry. For now, I must get this man to United Nations custody so that he may receive what he deserves."

"What does that have to do with us?" Steve inquires.

T'Challa turns his dark eyes to Steve. "Not only can I help you three get off this mountain, but I can give you a place to stay until the Americans decide that you are no longer threats. I think I owe you that much."

Steve nods, thankful. I lower my weapon. "What about my son Grant?"

T'Challa offers a small smile. "You are all welcome to stay in Wakanda as long as you wish."

My com buzzes, and Grant speaks into my ear, as if on cue. "Mom?"

"Grant!" I bring my com back up to my mouth. "Where are you, darling?"