Chapter 13

It was late at night so it'll be safe to go into the fear landscape without anyone seeing me. I grab a syringe and a black box that held another one for Tris from the control room.

I follow the same route to the landscape and I hear a loud feet movement and I knew it was Tris.

"Since you're here," I say, without looking over my shoulder, "you might as well go in with me."

"Into your landscape?" Tris's voice twinkle in the silence.

"Yes."

She walks toward me. "I can do that?"

"The serum connects you to the program," I say, "but the program determines whose landscape you go through. And right now, it's set to put us through mine."

"You would let me see that?"

"Why else do you think I'm going in?" I say quietly. "There are some things I want to show you."

I hold up the syringe, and Tris tilts her head to better expose her neck. When I was done, I offer her the black box.

"I've never done this before," Tris says as she takes out the syringe.

"Right here," I say, touching the spot in my neck. She stands on her tiptoes and pushes the needle in. I kept my eyes on her the whole time, and when Tris is done, she puts both of the syringe into the box and sets it by the door.

I offer her my hand and she slides hers into it. I open the door with my free hand and Tris follows me into the dark, holding my hand tightly.

"See if you can figure out why they call me Four," I say.

The door clicks shut behind us, taking all the light with it. Tris inches closer to me so her arm is resting against mine and her chin is near my shoulder.

"What's your real name?" She asks.

"See if you can figure that out too."

The simulation takes us. The ground I was standing on is no longer cement, it creaks like metal. Light pours in from all angles, and the city unfolds around us. Then the wind starts. Tris leans closer against me to stay on her foot. I remove my hand from hers and wrap my arm around her shoulders instead.

I did it both to protect her and for myself, we're up high. Heights. My heart beats faster and sweat pours out of my head. My breathing is harsh and forced.

"We have to jump off, right?" Tris shouts over the wind.

I nod.

"On three, okay?"

I nod again.

"One... two... three!" Tris pulls me with her as she bursts into a run. We both sprint off the edge of the city. We fall like two stones, fast, the air pushing back at us, the ground growing beneath us. The scene disappears and I fall down into the ground. Oh thank God.

I gasp and press a hand to my chest. One done, three more to go.

Tris gets up and help me to my feet. "What's next?"

"It's-"

Something solid hits my spine. Tris slams into me, her head hitting my collarbone. Walls appear on everywhere, left and right. I had to pull my arms about my chest to fit because of the narrow space. I gasp and shut my eyes closed. A ceiling slams onto the walls around us with a crack, and I hunch over, groaning.

"Confinement," Tris says.

A harsh sound came out of my mouth, grimacing.

"Hey," Tris says. "It's okay. Here-"