Chapter 18

Should I rewrite Insurgent in Four's POV? Comment if you want me too (:

-

-

Tris leans heavily on me. I wrap my arm around her protectively while a gun barrel is pressed to her spine and one in my head. We walk through the front doors of Abnegation headquarters, a plain gray building, two stories high.

A gun barrel pushes me toward a door guarded by two Dauntless guards. Tris and I walk through it and enter a plain office that contains just a desk, a computer, and two empty chairs. Jeanine sits behind the desk, a phone in her ear.

My eyes darken at the sight of her.

"Well, send some of them back on the train, then," she says. "It needs to be well guarded, it's the most important part- I'm not talk- I need to go." She snaps the phone shut and focuses her gray eyes on Tris.

"Divergent rebels," one of the Dauntless says.

"Yes, I can see that." She takes her glasses off, and folds them, and sets then on the desk.

"You," she says, pointing at Tris. I growl under my breath. "I expected. All the trouble with your aptitude test results made me suspicious from the beginning. But you. . ."

She shakes her head as she shifts her eyes to me.

"You, Tobias- or should I call you Four?- managed to elude me," Jeanine says quietly. "Everything about you checked out: test results, initiation simulations, everything. But here you are nonetheless." She forms her arms and sets her chin on top of them. "Perhaps you could explain to me how that is?"

"You're the genius," I say coolly. "Why don't you tell me?"

Her mouth curls into a smile. "My theory is that you really do belong in Abnegation. That your Divergence is weaker."

She smiles wider. Like she's amused. I stare coldly at her and I resist the urge to lunge at her for the sake of Tris's safety.

"Your powers of deductive reasoning are stunning," I spit. "Consider me awed."

"Now that your intelligence has been verified, you might want to get on with killing us." I close my eyes. "You have a lot of Abnegation leaders to murder, after all."

Jeanine keeps smiling when I reopened my eyes. She wears a blue dress that hugs her body from shoulder to knee, revealing a later of pudge around her middle. Tris slumps against me for support. I slide my arm around her, supporting her from the waist.

"Don't be silly. There is no rush," she say slightly. "You are both here for extremely important purpose. You see, it perplexed me that the Divergent were immune to the serum that I developed, so I have been working to remedy that. I thought I might have, with the last batch, but as you know, I was wrong. Luckily I have another batch to test."

"Why bother?" Tris says.

Jeanine smirks at her.

"I have had a question since I began the Dauntless project, and it is this." She sidesteps her desk, skimming the surface with her finger. "Why are most of the Divergent weak-willed, God-fearing nobodies from Abnegation, of all factions?"

"Weak-willed," I scoff. I hate it when someone calls Abnegation weak. "It requires a strong will to manipulate a simulation, last time I checked it. Weak-willed is mine-controlling an army because it's too hard for you to train one yourself."

"I am not a fool," says Jeanine. "A faction if intellectuals is no army. We are tired of being dominated by a bunch of self-righteous idiots who reject wealth and advancement, but we couldn't do this on our own. And your Dauntless leaders were all too happy to oblige me if I guaranteed them a place in our new, improved government."