Chapter 7 - Invitation in the Library

Wilfred's POV

The next day (after tea)

Lady Katelyn is still such a mystery. I had a delightful time yesterday talking with her at tea, but she had to leave suddenly. I think we could be good friends, but that remains to be seen.

I can't help but continue wondering what happened to her after the car accident. She seemed so normal at tea. She walked gracefully and sat with poise; her speech was eloquent and her voice kind. There was no indication of her being ill. Then again, I know the injury hasn't completely disappeared. Her manservant (I think his name is Sasha) is always with her, and the way he escorts her is rather unorthodox, almost as if he were her lover and not a servant. Strange.

Could they be lovers? Is that why she wants nothing to do with me? She found someone else? Is she attracted to men old enough to be her father? No. That can't be it. Can it?

I'm left with only these thoughts as I continue my day.

Kate's POV

I'm sitting in the public library in the children's wing. Sasha brought me here so that I could read a few books for myself, but also teach blind children to read. The books are written in braille, an alphabet made of raised dots. By running my fingers over the dots, I can recognize the patterns and read books. Sasha taught me how to do this about two years after my accident, and now I'm teaching a little girl named Chelsea to do the same.

The good thing about Sasha is that he waits until you're ready before giving you new challenges. I've always been grateful to him; he knows when to push me and when to pull back. I'd never admit it, but he's one of the only reasons I started taking my recovery so seriously. He's also the reason I've begun to give back to others.

"What is this word?" Chelsea asks me, pulling on my hand so I can read it.

"Let's see," I run my fingers over the word and immediately recognize it. No wonder it's so hard. "Spell it out loud for me. If you don't know the letter, say 'skip,' okay?"

"Okay," she nods. "Skip U-I-L-L."

"You don't know the first letter?"

"I know it, I just forgot it."

"Here's how I remember it: I picture what the letter looks like." I slowly explain to her the letter 'q' and she gasps in excitement.

"Oh! So, the sentence says, 'he took the quill in his hand,'" she reads to me.

I smile. "Yes! You're getting really good at this!" I'm glad she's getting it. Chelsea was just like me: she wasn't born blind. Unlike me, she got sick and lost her sight completely.

"Thank you for teaching me! I didn't think I'd ever get it." She continues reading, occasionally asking for help with certain letters or words. Only nine, and she's already reading above her age. I'm proud.

It seems a little loud in the library today, but that might be because school is on holiday. I would think that kids would be out enjoying the summer sun instead of spending a day in the library; I know I did when I was their age. It's not until I hear my name being called that I realize what all the commotion was.

"Katelyn?"

"Yes?" I ask, turning toward the voice. Wait. I know that voice.

"I didn't think I'd see you so soon," Wilfred says.

"Neither did I," I bow my head. Damn.

"I was here to read to the children earlier."

"Oh, that's really sweet."