Chapter 20 - Found and Found Out

No POV

The rain had stopped sometime around four in the morning. It was two hours later before they found any trace of Kate: a piece of tulle that had been ripped from the skirt of her gown by a bush in the maze. It was eight in the morning when they found traces of blood on a stone deeper in the maze. Thirty minutes later, they found a small hole, large enough for a small woman to crawl through, in the bushes that formed the wall of the maze. Next to the hole were the diamond necklace and one of the earrings she had been wearing. It did not take long after that to find Katelyn. She had managed to cut her feet on some of the rocks that made up the path for the maze. From there, she had run as far as she could, tearing her feet up. She then fell on her hands and knees and crawled before falling through the hedge. She rolled down a small hill and continued running. Until she fell once more, this time into a pond. They found her unconscious and clinging to rock on the bank of the river, her lips turning a pale blue.

Beatrice's POV

Mild Hypothermia. That is what the doctor begins to tell me. The pond was too cold from the rain, and Katelyn started losing too much body heat. What kind of cruel and vengeful God did she offend that so much would have happened to her? Maybe this was my punishment for lying to the prince. Maybe this was the price I paid for trying to set my daughter up with someone she had never met.

"Beatrice," Frederick whispers, "I'm so sorry."

"You have nothing to be sorry about," I cry.

"If I had just told the Spencer's, that boy wouldn't have been so persistent." He shakes his head. "I shouldn't have let her go."

"It's my fault," I say through silent tears, "I saw her coming home from the ball at Noble Michael with Sasha; I asked him about it later, and we decided that she needed to befriend the prince because she was more like her old self. If I hadn't pushed for friendship, he wouldn't have gotten the wrong idea." We both cry as we cling to one another. Waiting for the doctor to let us see our little girl would be hell.

Sasha's POV

1 day later

I sit in Katelyn's hospital room. Her vitals good. Doctor say she wake soon. I look over her chart and see nothing unusual.

"Sssaaa," Kate breaths out as she stirs.

"I am here," I say, reaching her side in two steps.

"I'm sorry," she whispers, a tear escaping her eye.

I shake my head. "Do not be. I go get parents." I nod and leave the room.

We take her home not long after for rest and to reevaluate treatment. Her feet are badly injured, but she will walk in no time. We are grateful she is well.

No POV

1 week later

Kate's feet had healed enough that she could walk short distances without her feet hurting. She often chastised herself for running, realizing now how ridiculous it was. Her father had been shut up in his study for the past week, and her mother had visited her often. This time, however, the conversation was less than pleasant.

"I told the prince that he cannot pursue you," Beatrice informed Kate.

"I understand." Kate sighed. "We were good friends, and I wished that we could have stayed that way."

Her mother places her hand atop Kate's. "I know, love."

"Ma'am," a butler interrupts, "Lady Kate has a visitor. Its Prince Wilfred." Both women said nothing for a moment before Kate answered.

"I'm feeling well enough for visitors. Please, send him in."

"You are sure?" Sasha asks from his spot across the room.

She nods. "I need to apologize for running out like I did." If Beatrice disagreed, she said nothing. It was only a moment later that the door opened, and Wilfred entered.

"Lady Morgan, Lady Katelyn," Wilfred greets them as he enters.

"Pretty flowers," Sasha comments, "yellow rose is Kate's favorite. No?"

"They are, Sasha, thank you for pointing that out." Kate nods.

"I'll go put these in water," Beatrice says, excusing herself. As she leaves, a servant brings a fresh pot of tea. Sasha stands and walks over to pour the tea.

"I came to apologize," Wilfred begins as he sits. "I should never have pressed the issue. It was my fault you ran. My fault you got hurt."

"I'm fine," she smiles. Sasha hands her a cup, but she misses it completely.

The sound of China chipping against the floor fills the air. Her hand stays outstretched in the air for a moment. Everything has stopped.

"Kate," Wilfred whispers. "Are you okay?"

"I..."

"Your depth perception...you," he trails off before speaking up once more. "You were hurt worse than they told me, weren't you? I thought it was a mild case of hypothermia and your cut feet..."

"It wasn't the...I..." she stands to walk over to his seat, only to trip, losing her mental map, the only thing that helps her navigate the house, a mental picture of where everything is. Sitting on the ground, Kate fumbled, looking for her chair.

"Kate," Wilfred said, concern in his voice. He sits up, ready to help. Was it too soon for visitors? No...

An arm extends to Kate, and she holds onto the jacketed forearm to help her up. "Thank you, Wilfred."

"Kate..." Wilfred gasps from somewhere behind her. She pauses...if he was behind her, then...

"It was me who help you," Sasha's soft voice answers the unspoken question.

"You...you can't see..." is the last thing Wilfred says before he stands and leaves as if in a daze.

At the sound of the door shutting behind Wilfred, Kate's knees give out from under her, and she sinks to the floor. Her only thought: he knows.

To be continued...

Thanks for reading!