8: Not Even A Day

On a perfect sunny day, the king and all of his closet followers were inside, eating lunch at the long, gold embossed dining table used to spark envy in others. Chandeliers sparkling with diamonds hung from the ceiling, and I always worried that they would fall upon us. The dining room was large, meant to impress with its huge windows to let in light and to view the gardens outside.

I looked longingly out the window where the sun was shining and I could almost hear the whisper of birds singing in the full green trees. It was a beautiful day right before the rainy season begun, so I wished to spend my day in the fresh air. Nature was taunting me specifically when I was stuck inside, forced to eat lunch with people I strongly disliked.

It was beautiful in here, too. My father hosted tea party of exotic teas and finger sandwiches. Tea kettles floated around, refilling cups and adding sugar to the guest's liking. The plates refilled as soon as people plucked sandwiches off. It was an endless buffet of food. Yet it did not have the same charm as fresh air and sunlight.

I only picked at my sandwich as I partially listened to the dull conversations permeating the air around me. I had no interest in talking about sports or politics or gossip. Usually, I was allowed to eat lunch by myself. Dinner was a formal occasion where I was stuck with people, but up until then I got to have time alone. No such luck today, on a day I could use it.

I was exhausted from the long night I had had, both mentally and physically. It had been a long night of planning and anxiety, just like every other night that week. I felt a pounding at my chest whenever they added another element to the plan. It was a lot for me to keep up with, but I had to. I had been up all day and night for a week, with only quick naps in late afternoon to satiate my exhaustion. There was no time to rest. There was always someone who needed me. I did not get time alone, being princess. Not even one measly little day.

After entrée plates were taken away, but before dessert, my day got worse. I heard a chime. My father's spoon rang out like a bell as he tapped it against his glass. "I have an announcement." His voice rang out strong and clear as he commanded attention and respect from everyone present. "As you all know, my children Tristain and Guinevere both give me great joy. If their mother, Queen Corliss, was here today, I am positive she would share my sentiments."

I internally groaned, but plastered on a smile nonetheless. He had not spoken a word to me in weeks, but family unity was an imperative act in the world of politics. "They both are becoming wonderful adults who will take over prime positions in government." Positions like scrubbing the floor of my future house to clean up after the nine children I am expected to have? That important government position?

"And so, I would like to announce here first, to my closest and dearest friends, that arrangements have been made, and both Monrova children will marry within the season. My beautiful daughter Guinevere will marry Lord Ralphus of House Falkland." I caught Ralph's eye with a slight blush in my cheeks. The thought of children had made me feel sheepish. My future husband was sitting across the table and far to the left of me, looking almost as embarrassed as I did. I could almost hear the thoughts of everyone else in the room, imaging our beautiful children and my perfect life as a housewife.

But the real, important betrothal was the one that came next. "And my son, Crown Prince Tristain..." Pause for dramatic effect, "is to marry Lady Lilianna of House Castligone. We all believe in their ability to be just and fair rulers. The future has never been brighter."

Judging on the wide smile and looks shot at the girl straight across from me, she was to be my new sister-in-law. She had gorgeous locks of red hair and a smile that came off as timid and humble, even though I could tell she had worked for this day. She seemed nice enough, but I could tell Tristain was hiding his crestfallen heart behind layers of deception he had mastered over the years. His smile was perfect. I wished I had that type of self-control.