28: Unity

"Are you ready for this?" I asked, looking at Alix out of the corner of my eye. "I don't think I am."

"Me neither. But this isn't about what we want. I don't think it ever has been." He sighed and walked in without another word.

I looked up at the new base, the old, tall hotel rising up like a gnarled tree that had to fight against the elements over the ages. It was dilapidated and looked so empty I never would have looked twice at it. But now, we would go in and try to act like we belonged. I felt more out of place here than at any ball. I was afraid. The tunnels under the streets had been my home, but this was like opening the door of your home to find a stranger having moved in. It was all my fault, so I did not have the right to complain. I would have to deal.

We walked into the Magia with masks on. We were well known, as Department Heads. Scrap and Blade, back again, undead. We had been gone for quite a time, but many people were missing or gone. They had not been able to find a lot of people, so we were a happy surprise. Hooray.

The hotel was ragged and old with moldy carpets and wooden beams in the ceiling that looked like they might fall at any moment. I could hear things moving in the walls, and shuddered at the thought of what could be in them.

A man I did not recognize came up to meet us. With a flat expression, the man around his late twenties said, "There is a Department Head meeting right now. You may proceed to the Presidential Suite. I have been sent to escort you." He frowned at us both, turning quickly and walking hurriedly up the stairs. I gave Alix a questioning look and he just shrugged. We walked up the stairs and Alix was slow, staring at our feet the entire time.

We followed the man into a large room where all the hotel furniture had disappeared in lieu of a long desk. People were emphatically discussing a topic I was unable to hear. Some were standing, some were waving their fists, but the scary ones were the ones who were sitting complacently with thoughtful looks on their face. Those were the ones to impress.

When we walked in, only a few Heads even looked our way. I saw jaws drop as they did, and eventually the room fell silent. I walked up to the table, giving a respectful nod to Rampart. We were not friends, but had a trust built on mutual respect. "Hello," I said casually.

"Scrap," Rampart said steadily. I could see the ghost of a smile on his face. "You're not dead."

"No, sir. Not today. I see you've garnered a promotion."

"Comes with a nice shiny badge," he informed. "Along with a lot of other shit to handle, like some of these useless sacks of weight. Good to see you back."

"Sadly, it's not for just the pleasure of your company. I've got a mission request."

"You come here after months and you have a request from me? This had better be good. Everyone sit." Everyone sat, turning their eyes to me expectantly.

I took a deep breath and waited a moment before pulling off my hood, letting my blonde curls fall out, and then took off my mask, slipping it into my pocket. I stood in front of my Magia friends as Guinevere for the first time. It felt good to have people know my true identity. I felt Alex standing behind me, cooled right like a spring, ready to defend us if anything went wrong.

I heard more than one gasp, and saw many faces of wide eyes and open mouths in absolute shock. One lady's coffee mug slipped right through her fingers and cracked in half when it hit the floor. The cup was mostly empty, but some brown coffee stained the carpet. The room had been effectively quieted. I said nothing, waiting for one of them to react with their words. "My Queen," Rampart said sarcastically. "What can we do for you? You destroyed our base, yet you come to us for help."