15: An Audience

Sitting in my throne, I knew I had immense power

Sitting in my throne, I knew I had immense power. I could feel it in my very bones. I had the calcium of kings living in my own body. I was in charge of the kingdom now, so the world's fate hung on my decisions. It was scary but also temptingly delicious.

"I want the city to know I'm alive," I directed Penelope. "And I have an announcement to make. I need a mandatory gathering outside the castle. Tonight."

Penelope nodded. She looked exhausted but "Anything else, Your Grace?"

"I need my official coronation to be scheduled as soon as possible. Make no mistake, I am still your true queen. But a queen needs her own crown," I said sternly. I twirled my finger around aimlessly, keeping a foul expression on my face.

Penelope nodded again hurriedly. "Yes, my Queen." A young maid scurried up to Penelope and whispered something in her ear. "I'll tell her," Penelope said to the girl.

I lifted an eyebrow. "Is there a problem?"

Penelope shook her head quickly. "No, my Queen. A pest wishing to speak with you. Nothing of importance."

"I think I'll decide that for myself," I snapped. "Who?"

"The leader of the crime organization known as the Magia wishes to have an audience with you," she said, averting her eyes anywhere but at my face.

I laughed to myself, admiring my burgundy nails. "Well, this has to be interesting. Send him in."

A boy walked into my throne room. The word "leader" had made me believe the Capo would be the one speaking with me, but I overestimated them. It was Blade. Why would they send him? He had only just been promoted to DH, and not even an important Department at that. He was still wearing his mask and hood. I was amused, and the smirk that lifted over my face showed that.

"Princess," he said in a gentler tone than I had ever heard from him. It reminded me of the night we shared last night. Last night. So much had happened since then, it felt like a lifetime ago. I remembered the feel of his lips like a brand on my very skin, though. I put those gentler thoughts aside, remembering what the Magia had done to my family. To me. Somehow, I liked the angry version of him better.

"I am the Queen now, and you will address me as so. Speak," I commanded, fanning out my skirts. My top had been cut scantily on purpose, in contrast to my full skirts. His eyes kept moving over me, and on a day where I was feeling less confident I would try to cover up. But today, even my outfit gave me strength. He was already tongue tied as he looked down me, from my face to my chest all the way down to my legs. His eyes were slow, and I almost had the urge to laugh again.

I was flanked by two starkly white guard on my two sides, and more lined against the walls. When Blade was finished gawking at me, he focused his eyes on each one, gulping. He was obviously intimidated, and for good reason. My guards had always been the highest caliber of performance.