05

With a deep sigh, I locked the front door, wondering where things had gone wrong. All of my schemes had backfired, each one increasing my dad's reluctance to let me attend Asakura's concert. And now, I had completely run out of options to bug him about it.

Last night, I had kept tossing and turning in my bed with great difficulty, thinking about all possible ways to use my last chance to convince my dad. Despite sleeping way too little, I had woken up early to prepare for school and my last-ditch effort to turn the tables. Unfortunately, my dad had an appointment with the dentist, so his interest in my speech was absolutely non-existent.

I had been on my best behaviour; taking care to follow the doctor's instructions, cleaning up my room, and working hard on my schoolwork. Heaving another sigh, I headed to the train station with my crutches.

One stop later, I disembarked, following the other commuters to the exit. Outside, only few people were headed in the same direction – I was earlier than usual. Frowning, I thought about the concert ticket in my bag. For now, I had managed to delay thinking about tonight. If I thought to much, I would start scheming again.

"Are you okay, [Y/N]?" someone asked me, a warm hand landing on my shoulder. Startled, I glanced over my shoulder, ending up staring right in Fuuto's eyes. Who of us had misjudged the distance between us, I didn't know, but we bumped noses, his warm brown eyes filling up my vision, every single eyelash distinguishable.

"Fuuto?"

He took a step back immediately, stumbling as his heel caught on the uneven pavement. Those hazel-shaped eyes widened, but the chocolate-brown eyes kept focussed on me.

"What do you think you're doing?" he snarled, his voice cold, barely failing to hide a hint of discomfort.

"I'm sorry?" I wasn't sure what I had done wrong, but in the face of so much panic, I felt like this was the only response I could offer. This was the first time I spoke to him since he had walked me to the train station and things were already looking promising – new heights of awkwardness would be reached in this conversation.

He shook his head like a dog, then grinned at me with newfound calm. "Are you okay?"

Reminded of the reason he stopped me, I tried to remember the answer I had wanted to give him. Although I doubted that his concern was sincere, I smiled at him. "I'm fine."

"You're going to steal Ema's lunchbox for me," he told me with absolute confidence.

"Pretending that this's perfectly normal behaviour isn't going to trick me into doing as you please."

Fuuto laughed, but the sound lacked any trace of humour. I had always dreamed of conversing with my idol, but in my daydreams he was impressed with me and wanted to sweep me off my feet. Reality didn't even come close to these fangirl dreams.

"You have already accepted the bribe," he drawled, a taunt in his voice. "So, be a good girl and get me Ema's lunchbox. You don't like her anyway, so that shouldn't be an issue for you, Miss Calculation."

"Did you just seriously call me 'good girl'?" I demanded an answer in a high-pitched voice. "Wait. Scratch that; I take offense in every single word you just said."

"Too bad, [Y/N], because you'll end up helping me," Fuuto taunted, reaching to open the door for me. During our discussion, we had reached the school doors. A quick glance over my shoulder taught me that only a few other students were scattered on the terrain. No one could have overheard us, right?

Either sensing or seeing my distress, Fuuto leant in, his lips close to my ears as he whispered in my ear. "Don't be difficult, [Y/N]. We both know that you'll do it."