15

"I don't care what you say, [Y/N], you're unbelievable," he complained, but he complied with my suggestion nevertheless. Although he did take a few notebooks and books from his bag, he tossed them on the table with little care. Fuuto wasn't planning on doing any homework, I guessed, as I looked at the books with interest.

"You're a year younger than me, aren't you?" I asked, the notion only just now occurring to me. Immediately, Fuuto shot me a deadly glare.

"What do you want to imply?" he asked me, venom lacing his voice as a clear warning that he would lash out if I dared continue talking about this.

"I didn't expect it to be such a sensitive topic," I said apologetically, lifting my hands in the air in a mock defensive posture.

"It isn't," Fuuto replied tersely, "because a year doesn't matter."

"Of course it doesn't," I agreed. "I'm sure Ema hasn't even realised the difference yet."

"Could you stop talking about Ema?" Fuuto demanded, sounding more pissed off than my remark warranted for a reaction.

Confused, I shoved Fuuto's books aside to pick the schedule up, waving it in front of Fuuto's face.

Fuuto's hand shot out, curling around the sheet without paying any attention to the new creases he caused. Surprised, I let him yank the sheet out of my grip, observing him quietly as he ripped the schedule in pieces.

"Do you have a spare one?" I asked him because I knew that I didn't have one.

Fuuto gave me a dirty glare before he blindly took a book from his collection and leafed through it until he stopped on a page, which I bet was random too.

Sighing deeply, I took chemistry printouts from my bag, intent on doing my homework at least partially seriously.

While Fuuto ignored me and flipped through the book with wild movements that made the pages rustle loudly, I wrapped up my chemistry homework.

Then, "I didn't expect to see you here," Ema said with a bemused smile as she picked up one of Fuuto's books.

"Hey, didn't we have different books for English last year?" she asked me, and I glanced at the book.

"I'm not sure," I answered hesitantly, although I knew that this was the same set of books I had last year. Perhaps, Ema had forgotten that she had transferred, but our headmaster would never allow a change to the curriculum. However, I couldn't risk triggering Fuuto's anger right in front of Ema when he wanted to impress her by reminding them of the age gap. Honestly, Fuuto was making an unbelievable fuss over one year.

"I have new games, [Y/N]," Ema revealed, showing me a plastic bag.

"I think it would be fun if you played these games with Fuuto," I suggested, secretly patting myself on the shoulder for being so helpful.

Fuuto perked up after my words, sparing me only a brief confused glance before he turned his attention towards Ema.

"Is it one of those zombie games?" he asked, disdain dripping from his voice.

Stupefied, I could only watch as Fuuto left a deep impression on Ema – and not the one he wanted.

Then he smiled sweetly. "I have never played them. Are they fun?"

Seeing the mask click into place was terrifying. Fuuto was a terrific actor, the lies passing his lips effortlessly.

Ema smiled happily at the bag. "Yes, they are! Usually, I play them alone, so I would love someone to play with me."