13

Downstairs, the doorbell rang; a shrill sound that was followed by stumbling as my dad rushed to the door. Mystified, I stopped collecting stuff to eavesdrop on the conversation that was about to take place at the door.

Did my dad expect someone? Was someone capable of making my dad sprint towards the front door?

"Good evening," the visitor said, his voice making a chill run down my spine. My eyes widened until they started to hurt as I heard Fuuto introduce himself to my dad as a friend.

Nausea and uneasiness made my fingers tremble, the appointment card slipping through my weak grip. Why was Fuuto here?

So slowly that I could almost hear the muscles in my neck work, I turned my head to my room.

The sight spurred me into action, and I stuffed the appointment card in my bag, followed by my phone with the charger still attached to the end.

"Oh dear," I whispered, panic lacing my voice as I limped through the room to find my wallet. If I didn't hurry, Fuuto would see my room.

Once I had located my wallet, I still had to find my railway pass, but I couldn't remember where I had put the little pass anymore.

I ruffled through the drawers to no avail.

When I looked up, I saw that Fuuto was standing in the doorway, a strange expression on his face. If I hadn't known better, I would call it the amused-yet-filled-with-fondness-smile. Alas, I knew better, so I was putting my money on well-disguised disgust and mockery.

"I'm not sure what I had expected," Fuuto admitted eventually, his gaze wandering over the posters, the figurines, and the CD's. "Should I be disappointed or relieved that you don't have the body pillow?"

A nervous giggle escaped my throat, although I felt like crying.

"Why are you here?" I asked, changing the subject abruptly.

Fuuto gave me a long glance as if I should be able to tell from his presence alone. "Why? Because you have an appointment at the hospital. And I'm going with you, [Y/N]-chan."

The gears in my mind started to churn as I reached an inexorable conclusion.

"About that date with Ema, which you cancelled," I said, uncertain of how to proceed.

"Yes," Fuuto said, but he didn't elaborate. Thus, I had only gained one single confession and many more questions through this exchange. I couldn't understand what motivated him, but he seemed to prioritise going to the hospital with me over a date with Ema.

He had known, I recalled. I had told him at one point, but I didn't think he still remembered. What kind of incentive would make him change his plans?

Somehow, I got that the answer wouldn't please me, but I ran my stupid mouth regardless: "is it possible that you made a deal with my dad?"

"Yes," he said again, visibly unwilling to clarify the details of such an agreement.

"Okay," I conceded. After locating my railway pass in a pocket in my coat, we could finally leave.

I didn't see my dad when we left the house, but I knew that he was observing us from a hiding spot. I could feel his gaze burn holes in my back until Fuuto closed the door behind us.

"The weather is nice, isn't it?" I asked nervously, hoping that we could avoid any awkward silences.

Fuuto raised an eyebrow but nodded anyway. "It is," he replied, probably acting extra kind to compensate for the mortification he caused.