16

I placed the CD on my desk, next to the folded jacket. After a moment of hesitation, I reached for my smartphone.

[Y/N]: You forgot your coat today.

Figuring that it would take a least a few hours before Fuuto would respond, I threw my smartphone aside on my bed. However, the device had barely hit the covers before it started buzzing.

Filled with disbelief, I rolled over to my bed, patting on the covers to locate my smartphone. When I had finally found my phone, the buzzing had stopped.

[Fuuto]: You can take it with you tomorrow.

Tomorrow, we would play video games with Ema and quite possibly Yuusuke. I still didn't know whether he had agreed to play or not. Well, if he knew that Fuuto was present, then Yuusuke would be there too, I reasoned with a slight smile.

The buzzing phone in my hand almost slipped from my loose grip. Doubling over in my wheelchair, I saved my new smartphone from its fate a few centimetres before it hit the floor.

Curiously, I looked at the screen.

[Fuuto]: How do you know my number?

Flabbergasted, I stared at the text, wondering whether I had misunderstood.

[Y/N]: You called me first, remember? I never got around to asking how you know my new number.

[Fuuto]: I asked Hinata for your number.

That made perfect sense since most people weren't aware of what had happened to my old phone. So far, I had only given Ema and my dad my new phone number.

The night I had sneaked to Osaka had started to change things between us. Fuuto had given up on blackmailing me, handing me the tape recorder as a peace offering. Hence, I couldn't regret going, although a thief had stolen my bag, I had hurt my ankle again, and my dad had grounded me.

[Y/N]: Is there a particular song which you would recommend listening to first?

Although I wanted to listen to the songs, I didn't dare to put the CD in my old player.

[Fuuto]: I didn't give it much thought, [Y/N], so I don't know.

I didn't know either, but when I opened a slip of paper fell on the floor. With a sigh, I tried to reach for the note on the floor, but I couldn't quite curl my fingers around it.

[Y/N]: What's on the note? I dropped it, and I can't reach it anymore.

[Fuuto]: I'm in the neighbourhood. I can save you.

What was Fuuto doing near my house? Why would Fuuto come over to pick up a piece of paper? Well, I wouldn't complain if such an opportunity presented itself to me.

[Y/N]: This damsel in distress would love being rescued by a hero.

[Fuuto]: I'll be there in fifteen minutes.

I coughed, staring at the screen in faint disbelief.

"Fifteen minutes?" I asked shrilly. "In the neighbourhood? Who are you kidding, Fuuto? You're still at Sunshine Residence, aren't you?"

Fondness filled my heart as I placed the CD in the player. Today, Fuuto would refamiliarize himself with my room, and the notion was enough to make me feel nauseous.

However, I couldn't jump around my room, ripping posters from the walls and tossing figurines under the bed. Thus, I would have to survive the embarrassment of letting Fuuto see my room again.