Chapter Seven

~Kimi's POV~ (Briefly)

Realization was beginning to sink in as I found myself alone in some type of interrogation room. I was currently sitting atop a plush couch in a small room. Since I'd arrived at this strange place, I was forced away from Hiei and Kurama and confined to this small room, alone. Why? Where was I?

Dee's final moments kept flitting through my mind. Why would they leave me alone? This was absolute torture. I couldn't do anything to help her! My only friend, it was my fault she was gone. It was because of me, her little sister would grow up alone, with no loving big sister to watch over her. Tears welled in my eyes as I watched her drag the blade over her exposed wrist in my mind's eye and the blood pool from the wound, spilling her life's essence to the floor.

"Dee." I choked as I finally folded into myself and collapsed onto the comfy couch with a sob. "Dee, come back." Tears welled in my eyes as I saw her cold lifeless face flash across my mind.

Was this some sort of prison? They said I was a demon; perhaps it was bad for demons to kill humans. Maybe they'd execute me for my crimes. At least Dee wouldn't be alone anymore, if humans and demons even went to the same place when they died. I deserved to die. It was my fault. Dee was dead, because of me.

I felt a strange pulse within me as my heart began to shatter. A strange feeling overtook me as I grieved the loss of my first and only friend. Some odd form of energy coursed through my veins as a strange vibration buzzed beneath my skin. What was happening to me? I choked unable to take in oxygen and ended up rolling off of the comfy couch. The wind was knocked from my lungs as I landed flat on my back and my body stopped whatever weird change it was going through long enough for me to catch my breath.

"Do you know why you're here?" An unfamiliar almost childish voice rang over a loudspeaker from the ceiling.

I looked up at the ceiling as I struggled to catch my breath, "It's my fault." Tears streamed down my pallid cheeks. "Dee died because of me."

"So you admit it?" The voice asked.

I crumpled into a ball on the floor as I felt a wave of pain wash over me. It was my fault. I killed her!

~Kurama's POV~

"Damn it! Koenma stop it!" Yusuke snarled as we watched Kimi begin to crumble on the giant monitor. The spirit ruler insisted we separated her and monitored her carefully. He didn't trust the girl.

"She's a demon, which you failed to mention!" The toddler spirit ruler barked. "She and Kai could have been in league together!"

"He tried to kill her!" Yusuke raged.

"Or perhaps that's what they wanted you to think." Koenma shot back.

"I'm so sorry, Dee." Kimi's choked voice drew everyone's attention back to the monitor, "I couldn't save you." She sobbed as she lay in a crumpled ball on the floor.

"Koenma, this girl would never intentionally harm a living soul." I attempted to reason with the spirit ruler.

"That was before her seal had been broken; she's transitioning into a full-fledged demon! You have no idea what she's capable of!" He snapped before getting on the speaker once more, "You wanted to kill her, didn't you?"

"NO!" Kimi cried in agony as she buried her face in her hands.

"Damn it, Koenma! Leave her alone!" Yusuke snarled as he charged his spirit power, "Let her go or I swear I'll take this whole place down!"

"Just calm down a minute, Yusuke." Koenma grumbled, "It's harsh but necessary." He pointed back to the screen as a strange aura enveloped the tortured girl, "I need to see how she acts when she's awakened."

A calming orange fiery glow with swirls of icy blue surrounded the distraught girl. She cried out as if in pain as her body began to transition. Her light brown hair grew longer and fell to her waist while shifting into a pale shade of auburn tinged golden blonde. Two pale auburn fox ears sprouted atop her head with white tips and a bushy white tipped pale auburn fox tail poked out from under her skirt. Her nails became slightly pointed and claw like and her already beautiful complexion somehow became even more flawless. She was absolutely stunning.

Once the transition was complete, we all held our breath waiting to see how demon Kimi would react. Absolutely nothing changed in her demeanor. She still lay crumpled on the floor in a sobbing heap occasionally crying out for Dee.

"Are you happy now?!" Yusuke snarled at the toddler.

Koenma guiltily looked away and reached for a button to release her but paused when the broken girl suddenly cried out in agony.

"KIMI!" Yusuke, Kuwabara, myself and surprisingly enough Hiei all called in a panic as the newly transformed fox demon clutched at her head in complete anguish.

"No!" She crumpled into herself even more as fresh tears poured down her pallid cheeks, remembering something painful from her past that had been sealed away with her demonic aura.

"KOENMA! Let her go!" Yusuke snarled as Hiei and I sprinted toward her holding room.

I didn't care if I had to blast through the doors, she was snapping; if she was left alone any longer she'd completely crumble. Luckily, the door opened just as Hiei and I were about to launch two lethal attacks at it and we were able to dart inside.

Hiei reached the shattered girl first and swept her into his arms. She threw her arms around his neck with a cry and sobbed into his chest as he held her in a tender embrace. I reached out to place a reassuring hand on her shoulder but paused as she feebly spoke.

"Please, kill me." The broken girl choked causing my heart to plummet into the pit of my stomach.

Video- "Alone Tonight" By Digital Daggers