Chapter Eleven

~Kimi's POV~

I woke to find myself tucked in my bed back home at Nana's house. My head was pounding and there was a sharp throbbing pain in my shoulder from where I'd been struck earlier in the night. My human form was much more vulnerable to pain. I winced as I tried to sit up in bed. A soft gasp escaped me as I felt a hand press into my uninjured shoulder to keep me in place.

Hiei appeared at my side. His deep crimson eyes were filled with concern as he kept me from getting up, "you should rest."

I knew he was right but I was worried about Alexa and Dee and what had happened at the Festival earlier in the night, "where's Alexa? Did Dee and Yusuke figure out who started the fire? Was anyone hur—?" I let my words fall away as he fixed me with an intimidating stern look.

Hiei sighed, "the miniature human has been returned to her home. I haven't heard anything from the Detectives and you were the only one injured."

I let out a soft sigh of relief, "that's goo—." I cut off again as his eyes narrowed into a sharp glare.

"Your life is far more valuable than any humans." He grumbled and I felt my heart skip a beat as I realized he was only grumpy because he'd been worried about me.

My cheeks reddened and I averted my gaze bashfully, "sorry for being reckless and making you worry, Hiei."

He made a strange choking sound and I glanced in his direction. His face was red and he was looking anywhere but at me, "who said I was worried?" He grumbled his voice sounding angry.

Perhaps I'd been wrong...I felt even more embarrassed for making assumptions and pulled the blankets up over my face. "...ah..I guess I misunderstood...I'm an idiot...s-sorry..." My voice shook.

"What are you doing?" I could hear the frown in his voice as he looked down at me trying to hide. I willed myself to disappear.

I didn't trust my voice. I felt embarrassed and hurt, I'd completely misread his words and actions and for some reason I had gotten my hopes up but I didn't completely understand about what and now I just wanted to cry and disappear.

"Kimi?" He tugged at the blankets but I kept a firm hold on them not wanting to show my face. He gave another much more forceful tug and I lost my hold on the blankets. They fell away from me and I buried my face in my hands to hide my tears. "Why are you crying?" He groaned and I faintly remembered him being uncomfortable when I had cried before.

"I-I'm not crying!" I protested and continued hiding my face.

"Your eyes are leaking." He pointed.

"N-No they're not." I sniffled.

He let out a heavy sigh and in the next moment I was being lifted off the bed and into his strong arms. He plopped down on my bed with me in his arms and held me close. I peered through my fingers and noticed the grumpy look on his face. He looked a little childlike, it was cute.

"Fine...I was worried...now stop crying..." He said in a strained voice as he cradled me against him. "You should be resting." He pulled a blanket around us and leaned back against my headboard.

"S-sorry." I mumbled softly.

His deep crimson eyes swept over me, ensnaring my gaze. I felt my breath hitch in my throat as I realized how close we were. "Rest."

I managed a nod, not trusting my voice. I relaxed against him feeling safe and warm in his arms. My eyelids began to leaden and I rested my head against his shoulder as they slowly closed. Just as I was about to drift into sleep, I heard a knock at my door.