EH? (FanFic Specialist)

I stretched and yawned. A couple days had passed since the Manchester Black thing. Those days were filled with hiking, swimming, and archery (I swear our archery instructor looked like Green Arrow, but Damian said I was imagining things).

I headed to the bathroom area and showered and brushed my teeth then headed for the common area for breakfast. I was greeted by a sour-faced Damian. He stood cross-armed and tapping his foot. I opened my mouth to ask him what the problem was, but nothing came out. I tried again, but still no sound. For a moment, I thought I'd lost my hearing, but I could hear the birds singing and even the sounds of the cars 20 miles away.

Damian began flailing is arms. I shrugged. I don't speak arm-flail; use your words. He then gave me a very clear scowl that meant "no one can talk, you idiot." I put my arms on my hips. Hey, that's not nice.

I produced the notepad I started carrying around. Mom always says that inspiration comes at the weirdest times. I started writing a note to Damian, but as soon as I finished, the letters vanished. He gave me a smart-aleck smirk. Of course, he'd already thought of that. My face lit up as I thought of Kathy. She's a telepath! Damian made a slashing motion followed by mimicking long hair. Already thought of that, huh. He started to pretend to be sick and then mimed sleeping. Whatever was going on removed had Kathy from the equation.

I was beginning to be grateful Dad had forced me to join Cub Scouts and go for my pantomime badge.

The sounds of large footsteps followed by screaming then drew our attention. Some of the other campers ran by as a giant spherical robot with mechanical waldo arms smashed through the trees. The campers screamed out warnings. I scratched at my head. Wait, they can speak but Damian and I can't?

I then found myself on the ground as Damian tackled me. The robotic creature passed by us. Damian pointed at my head and then at the robot. It was clear he was telling me to get my head in the game.

We quickly changed into our superhero uniforms and charged towards the creature. Robin fired a grapple and reeled himself towards the creature. The robot turned, sending Robin for a ride. It spotted me and fired. I leapt to avoid the fire, but it tracked me. A blast knocked me away; I regained my footing by hovering. The robot grabbed the dangling Robin and threw him at me. We collided and fell.

We untangled ourselves. But before we could continue after the mechanical menace, a short, strange man appeared before us. He pantomimed laughter. I recognized him: Mxyzptlk. That explained our lack of speech, but then I realized something worse. He wasn't speaking either. How could we get him to say his name backwards if he couldn't speak?

_____
Words: 500

Entry into the "Specialist" round for the Fanfic Bootcamp.
https://my.w.tt/NspLb6YaKN