Ambush

Hmm, yeah. Breakfast smelled delicious. It was nice to have something normal after the recent weirdness. I inhaled the sweet smell of bacon and eggs again. But I inhaled too deeply and my plate started to rattle. A second later, it began to rise into the air. Luckily, Kathy was there to slap the plate back down with her hand. We got a few curious and annoyed glances from the other campers.

I really need to work on the whole super-breath thing.

I was about to take a bite of eggs when I heard Nobody's voice. "Psst," it sound like it was right next to me. She probably was but just cloaked. "We've got a problem."

I gave Kathy a "we got to go" head nod.

***

Once the coast we clear, Nobody became visible. "I think Damian is in trouble." She went on to explain they were going to meet up this morning for some training. Damian likes to have an hour of training before breakfast. But, the trouble was Damian never showed. We decided it would be best to get some help with this one.

Soon Nobody, Kathy, Beast Boy, and I met at the cabin. Beast Boy deactivated the device that made him look human and became the green skinned hero we knew. Since we had no idea at what point Damian vanished, Beast Boy would track him. Nobody decided to stay behind in case Damian showed up.

Beast Boy transformed into a green dog and started sniffing the area. Soon he picked up the scent. Kathy and I chased after him.

***

As soon as Robin opened his eyes, he knew he was in trouble. Being chained to a wall was nothing new; it'd take him a minute at most to escape. The trouble was who'd chained him. Not many could ambush him like this. Members of the Bat-Family in theory could ambush him (if he allowed it), but even then why would they. The only explanation was the League of Assassins.

His theory was soon confirmed when his mother, Talia al Ghul, stepped into the light.

"You made a grave mistake betraying the League of Assassins," she said. "You sided with your father. And you made friends with Superboy. An assassin has no friends. Friendship makes you weak. They at best get in your way and at worst betray you."

Robin struggled against the chains; they were unusually well-built. "Not Jon."

"Ha! You already know that one day his power will get out of control and he'll destroy Metropolis. Or did you forget Future Tim?"

"I'll protect him."

"You can't even protect yourself." She pulled a lever.

Robin only heard a clank before being dropped down a long, winding chute. A moment later, he landed with a thud and a groan. He quickly got to his feet and was ready for whatever twisted game the League of Assassins had for him.

All seemed quiet at first then a shiver of motion passed through the floor. Soon the shiver became a thunder. Robin reached for a couple batarangs within his utility belt. But the boy who's ready for anything wasn't ready for this attacker. The giant red form of a bat-dragon appeared.

"Goliath?" said Robin.

Suddenly another bat-dragon appeared behind Goliath. Then another. And another. Soon Robin was surrounded. And as Robin thought it couldn't get worse...it did. A shimmer of air betrayed the decloaking of Nobody. She drew her sword. A sound of metal on metal whispered in the air as the blade came from the scabbard.

"It's time to pay for your crimes," Nobody said.

***

Kathy and I walked behind Beast Boy, still in dog form. I pushed my glasses further up my nose.

"I've been meaning to tell you thanks for taking me for a, uh, flight," said Kathy.

"Oh, uh, no problem. I enjoyed it too."

"It was very nice. How...uh, do you do it? Fly, I mean."

I shrugged. "I guess the best way to describe it is letting go. It's like I let go of the Earth. Kind of like letting go of a baseball."

"Kind of like floating on water. That's what it felt like for me."

I stopped. "You felt it?"

"Yeah. It felt like something was lifting me. Like I was floating."

Beast Boy suddenly transformed into green Pepé le Pew. "Aw, young love. Heh-heh."

Kathy and I turned quickly to Beast Boy. "We're not in love!"

Beast Boy returned to his human form. "Surrre. Anyway, I think I found something. Robin was ambushed," his eyes narrowed dramatically, "by the League of Assassins."

"You sure?" asked Kathy.

"Yeah, I know their scent anywhere. It smells like—" Beast Boy suddenly made a goofy face and fell over. A dart stuck out of his arm.

I turned to Kathy. "Go."

"I don't think that's happening," she said woozily. She then collapsed into my arms; a dart stuck out from her arm.

The sky darkened. The leaves rustled. And I was surrounded.