Forgiveness (FanFic Corporal)

"Wake up," said a dark figure and slapped Robin against the face before retreating into the dark.

Robin's vision blurred at first until finally he could make out a somewhat familiar form in the shadows. "Batman?"

The figure stepped closer. The figure had the familiar ears, cape, and form of the Dark Knight but looked menacing. "Close," he said. "I am Batman. But I am not who you think. I am not your father...I am you." The figure pointed at Robin. "You were warned. If you continued crime-fighting, a dark future awaited you. You sold your soul for the power to protect Gotham and caused it and Metropolis' destruction."

"I'm not you," spat Robin. "I'll never be."

"Oh...you think by becoming a vegetarian and having a pet cow and cat you'll somehow erase your bloodlust?" Out of nowhere a cat began circling Future Damian's feet. "And who do you think this is?"

Robin recognized it as his cat, Alfred.

"Face facts, Grandson of the Demon's Head, I'm your fate. You were created to earn Batman's trust, kill him, and replace him. It's in your DNA. It is your purpose."

"No," struggled Robin. "I make my own fate!"

***

I continued to sob as the world grew dark around me.

"Jon," said a calm, authoritative voice. I opened my eyes. A button with a smiley face was at my feet. "Jon." The button pulsed a blue energy as it "spoke." "It is not yet time." Suddenly, the wind started blowing at my hair. I stood causing the wind to whap at my cape. A new, blue-white light began to pour across the empty space. I could see some kind of humanoid figure. "You still have a part to play." The figure pointed. I followed his finger back towards the tree Past Kathy stood near during Goldie's death; Kathy once again stood by the tree. I glanced back at the strange figure, but they were already gone.

"Jon!" shouted Kathy running over to me. "I'm so glad you're all right. It's been...a nightmare. Somehow they're using our fears and guilt against us." She then seemed to realize where we were as she took a step back. "Is this?"

I nodded slowly. "Goldie."

She grabbed my shoulders. "Jon, don't listen to this. It's not your fault. You couldn't control your powers. Manchester Black was messing with them. It's OK. I should have told you this sooner, but Black controlled me too. I'm sure your parents forgive you."

"I know they do. Dad and Mom already said so."

"Then what's...Oh. Jon, you have to forgive yourself."

"How? I messed up. How can I become Superman if I couldn't even save my cat? How can I be like my father if I can't keep a simple promise?"

"Jon, that doesn't matter. I'm sure you father has messed up plenty of times. You need to forgive yourself so we can help Damian. You've got to let it go, Jon. Let it go, let it go, turn away and slam the door." She then put a hand on my shoulder. "Damian needs your help now."

I wiped at my nose with my hand. "You're right. Damian needs us."

"I can see what's happening." Kathy and I turned to see a green meerkat standing by the tree. "And they don't have a clue. They'll fall in love and here's the bottom line..."

"Beast Boy!" we both shouted.

He transformed back into his human form and joined us. "So...how do we get out of here?"

"How'd you escape?" asked Kathy.

Beast Boy shrugged. "Just found myself here. That was not a pleasant place. But usually in situations like this, once the victim has overcome...whatever, they escape."

"So once Jon forgives himself, we'll be free."

"Then what are we waiting for?" I said. "I'm over it." I tried to smile brightly.

Kathy folded her arms. "I don't think you are."

I waved a hand. "Pfft, what makes you say that?"

She pointed. "That?"

I turned slowly. A giant, rotting cat-monster roared in my face. It then swallowed me.

"I've heard of your guilt eating at you..." said Beast Boy.

***

I landed in a dark and gooey place. There was no light at all. Sounds of gunk dripping were all around me.

"Jon, you okay?" a muffled Kathy said.

"Don't worry," said Beast Boy, "it'll soon pass."

I sighed. Here I was in the guts of the cat I'd killed. Kathy was right. I had to forgive myself...and mean it. I exhaled. "In every life we have some trouble. But when you worry you make it double." A small light began to grow. "'Cause when you worry your face will frown. And that will bring everybody down. So don't worry, be happy."

_____
Words: 800
Entry for the "Corporal" prompt from Fanfic
https://my.w.tt/UiNb/fwtYJxo73N
Songs used: "Let it Go" from Disney's Frozen, "Can You Feel the Love Tonight" from Disney's Lion King, "Don't Worry, Be Happy" by Bobby McFerrin