5- Jackson

"What were you thinking?" Captain Kelly lashed out trying to steady her breathing. I happened to be here when Commander Grayson had brought Saige back to the house, which was currently getting an earful. "Do you realize how dangerous that was? You could have gone missing and no one would've known!" Saige's gaze stayed locked on her feet and remained silent. "From now on you will have a guard with you 24/7."

That made her head snap up, her lips parted in shock, and her eyes widened.

Commander decided to step in, "Kelly, I'm sure she won't do it again."

Phoenix scoffed from the couch, "Please, this is probably her hundredth time." All eyes snapped to her glaring for butting in. "What? Let's not forget all the times she's gone outside at night after we're asleep."

Commander sighed and shook his head, but I was confused. Saige isn't stupid, she knows the kind of danger she's in better than anyone here; she even has the makings to become one of us. So what's her reason for risking all of that?

"Like I said," Kelly stated firmly. "Guard, 24/7, can that be arranged?" She turned her hard gaze to Commander.

A moment of silence passed before he answered, "Yes."

Saige clenched her fists; I could physically see the anger building up.

"Good," she whirled back to Saige. "Now go to your room."

She narrowed her eyes, and spoke lowly, "No."

We were all stunned to silence, Kelly tried to keep her cool, "Saige, go to your room, now."

And then she exploded, "No! I don't have to do anything you say!"

I've never seen her act like this before.

"You live in my house; you follow my rules. And whether you like it or not, that's how it works. Go cool down," she jabbed her finger towards her room.

"No, I'm not someone who can be ordered around like something you own! That's not how it works," she mocked her.

Commander and I locked gazes shocked, but we understood. Her anger was not really directed towards Kelly, this pure rage was for someone else.

Kelly didn't get it, she pinched the bridge of her nose and continued, "You keep this up and you won't be allowed to leave the house."

The color drained from her face, "You can't keep me here!"

"Watch me."

If Commander wasn't standing behind her, she would have bolted out the door. Her eyes flashed with a mixture of anger and hurt, they frantically darted around the room no doubt looking for a way to escape. Seeing there was none, she pinned her wrathful eyes on Kelly who gave it right back, "You're not my mother."

"You're right, I'm not. I'm just someone trying to keep you alive for crying out loud."

"Kelly," Commander warned.

She ignored him, "Do you even realize how much you put all of us through? Do you know how many times we've stuck our necks out for you at the cost of death?"

"Captain," I cut in.

"And how do you repay us?"

Phoenix even sat up, "Mom, stop."

"By running off like all of that means nothing to you! Do you wanna die? Is that it?"

"Kelly," Commander put more force in his voice, but the stubborn woman didn't budge.