12- Phoenix

Jab. Jab. Stupid.

Upper cut. Left hook. The way he just left.

Kick. Dodge. Block. He wouldn't give me the chance to explain.

Duck. Punch. Cross.

Movement caught my eye; Jackson was pushing Saige extra hard today. She was sweating profusely and panting like a dog having heat stroke.

Block. Jab. Why can't she just peruse Jackson? He would be good to her.

Elbow strike. Hook. Is there something wrong with me?

Block. Dodge. Jab. Cross. Punch. Knee strike. Stop thinking foolish thoughts, Phoenix Marie Jensen. Do not be one of those types.

Round kick.

Richard snatched my foot and sent me to the floor successfully pinning me. "What's up with you?"

I blinked. "Nothing," I pushed him off and got up resuming my stance.

"Your fight is tomorrow, you've been wanting this for as long as I can remember, and you are the most distracted I've seen you."

"It's just nerves, I'm fine."

His ash-brown brows creased in concern, "You have nothing to be nervous about."

A small cry followed by a thump drew my attention towards where Jackson and Saige were sparring. "You're gonna have to do better than that. Come on, get up Saige."

Richard turned to watch as well as she lumbered to her feet, staggering with fatigue. "Can't we take a break?"

"You have to learn to stay on your feet; if you fall, you die. Again." He didn't give her time to respond before he was throwing a series of punches. She was able to block or dodge them, but he strategically brought his foot behind hers tripping her, and she tumbled to the floor again. "On your feet."

She gasped for air, "I need some water." He attempted to kick her; she rolled to the side just barely and reluctantly stood up shooting him a glare. "Jackson!"

"What is he doing?" Richard murmured next to me.

"You think the enemy is going to stop and let you catch your breath?" He came at her once again, "You think the fight will be fair?" She didn't answer, only able to focus on defending herself. "Expect your opponent to play dirty. Anticipate his moves before he makes them." He swung his leg out to knock her off her feet; she jumped over it retuning a kick. He stumbled, she took advantage of it switching to offence and came at him fists flying. He easily blocked them becoming more aggressive in his approach. She threw a punch faking him out and quickly switched into a kick taking him by surprise.

She grinned and continued to strike keeping him on defense; but I knew he was only trying to tire her out. "Don't get cocky," he warned. He ducked under her right hook getting behind her and nabbing her in the back; she flew into the floor. "That and anger can be one's downfall. It's vital to keep a clear head at all times." He didn't have to tell her to stand this time; she used her knees to push herself up. He gave her a half-smile, "People will underestimate you; use it to your advantage, be quicker than them." She nodded still trying to catch her breath, wiping sweat off her forehead. "Try again."

I turned away ready to continue my own training catching Richard's bewildered expression, "What's up?"

"It's just," he shook his head, gray eyes swirling in thought. "Nothing."

I nudged his six foot frame, "Talk to me Rich, there's obviously something on your mind."

"Does Jackson seem more intense than usual?" I followed his gaze back to the two of them; they still haven't taken a break. "Maybe it's just me, but-,"