30- Saige

I tossed and turned growing irritated I couldn't get comfortable. Phoenix and Lacey had long since fallen asleep based on their soft snores and steady breaths. We decided against our better judgment to have a classic last night and stay up late, Phoenix's newfound crush one of the major topics of the night. I wasn't let off the hook, however, after Ky and I got a little cozy at the bonfire. A hot blush licked my cheeks just thinking about the teasing they put me through. I shook my head grinning, that feeling rushing back and welling up until I had to hold in a giggle. The emotion used to be foreign, completely nonexistent. But as of late, it's all I've felt; pure joy.

It was hard to part ways from my dear friend. One of our biggest fears was not seeing each other again after either one of us left our cells, old habits die hard I suppose. My smile faded at the thought. Darren was still nowhere to be found. I balled my fists trapping the blanket in between my fingers letting out a soft huff. I turned over sharply on my side. After laying there a few seconds I flipped to the other side. I fluffed my pillow. I fluffed it some more. I sat up some and punched the pillow. I lied back down. I punched the pillow more. I sat up fully and turned to sit on my knees completely wailing on the pillow. I froze when Phoenix shifted mumbling in her sleep. I let out a breath of relief when she settled down, plopping on my stomach. I groaned. I still wasn't comfortable. I slept on concrete before they finally gave us cots, I should feel like I'm sleeping on a cloud.

I sighed sitting up. Maybe it was the fact my thoughts were still running ramped and not the bed. Like knowing it's not quite over. Darren was sure to try and retaliate. Would he go after Sarah? Or any of the other thousands of victims? Would he free his team of disgusting individuals? I swallowed to get rid of the sudden dryness. Will he succeed in finding me? I shook my head. Of all those things, those aren't even the thoughts keeping me up. Something Lacey said earlier. It wasn't even meant to affect me the way it has, but it did.

"So," Lacey wiggled her eyebrows. "What's up with you and Ky?"

"Nothing, we're just, friends?" I scrunched my face at my own tone.

"You said it like a question," Phoenix said. "You don't know? He hasn't asked you to be his girlfriend?"

"Uh, no?"

"Well, why not?" I shrugged. "He should, y'all sure did look like it tonight."

I coughed slightly, ignoring the burning sensation on my face, "There's just a lot going on. I mean, Sarah's back, we just got through with raiding prisons and arresting a bunch of people, we still have to get to the trials in court, not to mention I'm still learning how the system works; I don't blame him for not asking."

"Come on," Phoenix chided. "You know what happens. They're taken to jail, they go to trial where they determine guilty or not guilty. If they're found guilty they're sentenced to a number amount of years in prison."

"I get that, but what about people who are taken out of town? Like Cleo and Braxton?"

"Oh, that," she rubbed the back of her neck ruffling her dirty, blonde curls. "They go through the same thing; after they're brainwashed."

"Say what?" I wasn't sure if I heard her right. I had heard rumors about it, but never really thought about them being true.

"Just enough so they don't remember the town, that way they can't tell anybody where we are. It's safety precautions."

"Yeah, but still."

"Did anybody tell you about the death penalty?" My eyes went wide. "That's only for the worst of the worst crimes, like first-degree murder and whatnot."