9- Saige

"Saige O'Connor!"

            What? I looked at Ky in shock, he gave me a smile and nodded for me to go down. I searched for Jackson only to get the same reaction. I don't get it, weren't they the ones who said I wasn't ready not too long ago? Then I spotted Commander Grayson in the corner with a jolt, instantly knowing he must have heard everything. He stood with his arms crossed leaning against the wall, tense; still as stone. His chocolate gaze swirled with an emotion I couldn't quite place; he flashed me a half smile and winked, I smiled back understanding. It wasn't their call to make.

            The roaring crowd brought my attention back, do I really want this? I've always been curious about it yes, but am I capable of protecting someone else? Frantic movement caught my eye on the bottom floor, a little boy with saggy auburn hair and always tan skin smiled widely giving me a thumb's up while his parents beamed at their little one. I sent him my best smile.

            "Thank you. You saved my life," he threw his arms around me. "You're totally my hero."

            I shook my head at the fond memory, I can't let David down. So I marched confidently down the stairs determined not to trip in front of everyone and stood before Aaron Monroe, my former enemy turned, well, not my enemy. I wasn't exactly sure where we stood with each other. He took bullets meant for me and I will be forever grateful, but I can't help the qualm of guilt that latches onto my conscience constantly reminding me of the great deal of torment I put him and his family through. Sometimes when I look at him, he morphs into someone else. His olive tone remains, the nose a bit bigger, thick lips frozen in a sneer, a dark buzz cut, and that deep scar running from the top of his head, through his eye and stopping at his cheek bone.

            "So what do you say, O'Connor?" Monroe's commanding voice snapped me out of my daze, now back to being the beefy, bald, impatient man with a goat on his mouth. "Are you willing?" I stole a glance at Ky resting his elbows on the railing, his father now standing beside him. Commander wouldn't have given me this chance unless he was sure I could do it.

            I smirked and grasped Monroe's hand firmly, "I'm willing."

            To my surprise, Monroe smirked back, "We'll see how long you last, Rookie." He pushed past me, but it was a playful push, in a dry sort of way.

            "I'm so proud of you!" Lacey jumped on my back giggling.

            "Thanks," I wheezed.

            Justin wiped a fake tear and fiend sniffling, "Our little one's all grown up."

            Lacey rolled her eyes still smiling, "You've got to train hard, you've only got one week."

            "Why? What happens in a week?"

            "Nothing really, just a fight," Justin waved his hand.

            "Wait, what?"

            "Let's not worry about that," Lacey shot her boyfriend a look. "For now, let's fetch the gang and celebrate!" She turned on her heels and rushed at Phoenix giving her the same greeting as me.

            "Maybe we can have a movie night? Like Star Wars?" Justin wiggled his ash brown eyebrows dramatically making me laugh.

            "I'm not the one who turns it down every time you bring it up."

            "I know; always the party pooper, Jax. You know what; let's just not invite him this time. We're more likely to watch it then."

            "That wouldn't be very nice."