24- Saige

"Saige," he hummed against my ear, my name rolling off his tongue. "Let's face the facts here." I wriggled and thrashed about, my breathing becoming shallow, his grip only tightening as he caged me against his chest. My throat was in too much pain to scream. His shoulders shook as he chuckled lowly, "Whether you like it or not."

    "Shut up," I countered weakly.

    He leaned down so close his lips brushed my ear whispering, "You're just like me."

    Commander Grayson sauntered onto the porch with a tray in his hands, three mugs sitting atop, "I just spoke to Kelly, she's agreed to let you stay though she wasn't happy about you leaving."

    "I left a note on the fridge," I shrugged. "It's not like she didn't know where I was."

    "That's just Kelly Jensen for you." He handed me a mug steaming with chocolatey goodness, "She's being a good mother."

    I froze. There's that word again. Will she even want me after this gets out?

    Ky took one muttering thanks under his breath, the smell of bitter beans wafting my nose with a smack. His gaze shifted to me, "What?"

    "You drink black coffee?"

    "It's the only way to drink it." I stared at him. "Don't tell me those women haven't let you try it without the cream or sugar."

    "They've offered, but Phoenix insisted to not waste my time."

    Commander scoffed ducking back into the house, "Typical."

    Ky handed it out to me. "No, I don't want to drink yours." I gestured to my own mug, "This is enough."

    His smile had me flashing back to the day I tried French fries for the first time at Granny's, the day he figured out I couldn't read. It seems so long ago. "Take a sip, I don't care." I set my cup down on the wood table next to the swing and tentatively took his mug in my hands. Knowing him, he wouldn't back down until I did try it. I slurped it, scrunching my face at the strong taste. Ky burst into melodious laughter. "They say it tastes better the second time."

    I sat for a moment looking at it, then sipped it again. I grimaced shaking my head giving it back, "Whoever said that lied." Our fingers skimmed against each other's as he gently freed it from my grip, my stomach flip-flopped.

    He continued to snicker, taking a sip on the same side as I had, "It may grow on you in the future."

    "I don't know about that," I picked my own mug up and swished the hot chocolate around in hopes of getting rid of the taste.

    Commander came out with the tray again, "Breakfast is served." Ky pushed the table out and he set a plate consisting of bacon, eggs, and toast in front of me. "And I found some whipped cream if you want some for your hot chocolate."

    "You didn't have to do this." Now I felt really guilty, they'll regret it once I'm done confessing.

    He waved his hand dismissively, "Nonsense, no one ever leaves the Grayson house hungry." He pulled one of the porch chairs over sitting across from Ky and I and set down two more plates for themselves. He blessed the food and we started to eat in silence. I was surprised they weren't drilling me on why I'm here. Even after we finished, they never once asked what was so important.

    "Can I help with the dishes?"

    Ky collected everything giving me a smile, "No thanks, just relax." He disappeared into the house, and I realized the moment he got back it would be time. I sighed shakily, clenching my hands together in nervous anticipation. Commander said nothing, sipping his coffee with ease and leaning back in his chair satisfied after a good meal. I couldn't help but think he won't stay like that for long.