18. Ship

After Phos fled, Adamant made everyone gather again, as there was still something to be discussed.

—Shirou, go ahead —he said.

I stepped ahead and told them the details of Lancer that Phos hadn't had a chance to mention, as well as the very likely possibility there will be more like her.

—If any unknown Lustrous appears, use the whistle to inform the rest of us, and don't engage them in combat. They have strange abilities that I can only describe as magic, so never assume you know what they are capable of doing. They are working with the Lunarians. Take that in consideration and don't let your guards down. I want to make this very clear, only I or Adamant are allowed to fight them.

Bort didn't seem to like that too much, but the rest accepted my recommendation without any objection. They seemed worried and a bit anxious.

—Right now, I'm not at my full capacity, so I will go look for the spear that Lancer brought, which is currently at the bottom of the sea. That should better our odds against them.

—Eh? Sensei, is he really allowed to go, after what happened? —Jade asked, giving a quick glance at Dia.

—We need any resource we can get to protect ourselves, and he is very determined to go.

It has been rather hard to convince Adamant to let me go. He insisted that I was still too weak, so we had agreed to wait a couple of days more. He also tried to make me take a companion alongside, and I said I will think about it, but I couldn't drag someone away from patrolling duties.

Later that evening, when the gems were coming home, I saw a very angry Phos coming running right to me.

—What do you mean you are leaving?! —she yelled, her face too close to mine.

I threw a glance at Bort, who clearly hadn't shared the whole story to her. Bort just looked away. I explained the situation to Phos, and she immediately tried to volunteer herself to join the expedition.

—No, you have to stay here and help Bort protect everyone. You are now almost as strong as I was with my two arms, so with you here there shouldn't be a problem.

Phos didn't look satisfied with this, and was trying really hard to think of any reply that would convince me otherwise.

—Then... —a figure appeared from behind Phos, surrounding her slowly with her arms —shall I go with him instead?

Phos let out a surprised scream that was barely audible. Bort didn't move an inch, but I thought I saw her trembling a bit. The gem behind Phos peaked from behind her with a subtle smile and lethargic eyes.

—You must be... —I started to say, she was the only one who I hadn't interacted before, but I have heard about her— Ghost Quartz, right?

—That is correct —She smiled a bit more, finally letting go of Phos—, I'm in charge of the common library and the long recovery facilities, but as I haven't had a permanent partner in a long time I'm not usually on patrolling duty, so it will not affect us if I go away for a couple of days.

—I appreciate your offer, but I can't accept it.

—So it is impossible after all? —Ghost said with a slightly defeated tone—, then I'll stay here and pair with Phos and Bort.

Both gems shivered and froze in place at the same time.

—That was a joke —Ghost said with a small mischievous smile before going away, almost fading in the shadows of the hallway.

—That kid is a dangerous one —Bort said with a hint of nervously on her voice.

—I agree... —Phos said, leaving a deep sigh escape from her mouth, and sitting next to me— I can't understand him, I'm deeply indebted to him and yet he treats me like he admires me... in his own particular way.