46. Memories

Berserker swung her sword and that was enough to make a shockwave that made the ship rock back and forth violently, almost making me lose my balance. I managed to hold on the rail and pulled myself straight. Just a few seconds have passed, but the battle had already started. Berserker attacked viciously, but Shirou was able to avoid or block her, though both his shields and swords were destroyed by just one hit of the enemy. But... there was something wrong, he wasn't attacking. It isn't like he didn't had the chance, he was a bit quicker than the girl, and he had been able to project swords and manipulate them without having to touch them. He wasn't doing anything; he was just on the defensive.

—Why? —I muttered to myself, starting to feel like gears grinding inside my head. That was a familiar feeling, somehow.

An image of the girl Shirou was fighting crossed my mind, but she was on a hospital bed, and "I" was holding his hand. "Rin", "Luvia" and "Miyu" were there. I felt like I knew this people. The image disappeared and I was back on the present, trying to make sense of what I have seen. Of course that had to be a memory from Shirou's past, but this was different from everything I had seen. Before it was just information cataloged, like how it would be described on a book. This had been more like a dream. I suddenly remembered how he had reacted to meeting Assassin, and what he had said.

—... I think I have become a bit weaker over the past 100 years.

Time could have been a factor, but I felt there was something more. When he had recovered the piece I sacrificed my head for, he must had regained emotional memories and attachments he had to other people during his previous life. Then it was obvious why he couldn't fight Berserker, for him it was the same little girl that was lying in that hospital bed. I cursed myself for not having noticed it before, and jumped to the railing to go and help him, but Ondyne had already gone on her own. She was yelling aggressively, probably to amp herself up, but this only made Berserker aware of her attack. She swung her heavy sword and would have cut Ondyne in half, if I hadn't grabbed and pulled her away just in time. I let out a sigh of relief.

—W-what are you doing?! —she said, trying to break free from my grasp.

—I'm asking you the same thing! She could have killed you! —I yelled—, what were you thinking?!

—Teacher was suffering; I can't stay without doing anything!!

—Eh? You noticed too...

—Of course, I can read Teacher like a book —she proudly said—, wait, what do you mean by "too"?

—Phos, Ondyne —Shirou had put himself between Berserker and us, showing us his back—... thank you. I forgot for a moment what I'm fighting for right now.

—Teacher, I'll fight at your side!

—I... I'll help you too.

—...Berserker, you asked me to fight with all my might. Phos is my partner, and Ondyne is my student, they are part of my might. Will you accept to fight with us?

—Hmm, don't you think it is a bit abusive, oniichan? I was usually the one bullying you, weren't I? —Berserker said with a grin—. Fine, just don't start crying if I break them!

She jumped to the action immediately, swinging her sword wildly.

—AS IF I WERE TO LET YOU! —Shirou said, with a strangely imposing voice.

Swords started to rain from the sky, slowing Berserker down.

—Not bad! This is starting to get exciting!

—Trace Overedge! —Shirou said, and his usually short swords started to sprout blades as if they were scales, becoming more sturdy and large.

He finally swung his swords back against Berserker, his swords started cracking but he repaired them on the fly and managed to pushed her back. I snapped out of my stupor and joined the fight, using the giant sword the Admirabilis had given me. Ondyne also went on the offensive, but even when we managed to hit Berserker, our swords just bounced on her skin. We, however, were enough distraction to allow Shirou to project more swords, which were able to at least scratch her. There was a problem, though.