29. Adapt

I was introduced by Phos to the recently awaken Padparadscha, omitting some details about the holy grail war and the other servants. Phos had told me a bit about her the night before, how she was like a caring big brother to all of them, and always knew what to say. Despite this, I felt something eerie about her, and kept my distance. Maybe it was because she was the first gem I had get to know after what Franny had told me, and it had affected me more than I thought.

—Padparadscha, can I ask you a question? —Phos suddenly asked, holding behind her back the flute she had been carrying around for a while.

She had told me and Ghost about it, and the idea that crossed her mind about communicating with the Lunarians using it as a medium. Ghost thought it was an amusing idea. I was against it on principle, but if she really wanted to try it out, I would support her. After the battle against Rider, however, she had decided to at least give some rest to suspecting Adamant, so the theme hadn't reappeared on our meetings. The Lunarians haven't appeared on the island since then either.

If she wanted to ask who she thought was a matured and level headed person her opinion, it meant that that idea hadn't left her head entirely, though. Padparadscha tried to tell Rutile that she was going for a walk, but Rutile was already sleeping on the floor. Phos looked back at me for a moment when they were leaving, almost as if asking me to tag along, but I felt she needed some privacy.

—I'm getting a bit sleepy after talking all night, I'll catch with you two after a quick snooze —I told her, and put my back against a pillar, with Shiro the dog still sleeping near where I was.

I wasn't entirely lying, I doze off immediately afterwards, only being awaken by Rutile pinching my cheeks and asking where Padparadscha has gone. She ended up dragging me too look for her, and when he found her and Phos, Padparadscha was lying sleeping on the ground.

—Did you manage to ask what you wanted? —Rutile asked in a deadpan tone.

—No, we only had enough time to talk about the weather.

I helped carrying Padparadscha back to the school, and Phos and I returned to our lazy rest. Ghost came to see and talk with us for a bit, and Yellow came after hearing that Padparadscha have been awaken, only to be disappointed of getting there too late. The sunset arrived before I realized it, and the gems that had been patrolling the island returned. As I have suspected by the lack of whistles during the whole day, no sunspots have been sighted.

—With this, its eleven days without any Lunarian attack —Euclase said, trying to hide the worries she was feeling.

—They must be planning something —Bort said.

—I agree, and I'm pretty sure it is due to Franny's intervention —Caster added—, we need to take preemptive countermeasures for whatever they could try.

She looked motivated and forced everyone to stay awake and come up with ideas, even pulling Adamant out of his office. I hid in the crowd and fled from there at the first opportunity, only to find out that Phos was already outside.

—Ah, so I'm not the only one who managed to get out of there —she said with a impish smile.

—Caster's plan seems to be sensible, but I don't think I could add anything of value to the conversation.

I looked up and saw again the red dot in the sky, only this time it looked somewhat bigger.

—There you are! —Caster yelled, peeking from the inside of the school—, Shero, you might be my fiance, but I can't give you special treatment, come back in this instant and bring Phosphophyllite with you.

—Yeah, I'm sorry, but... —I just couldn't get my eyes from that thing—, would you happen to know if that's Mars, Venus, or a star? I could swear its getting bigger each night.