31. Rebirth

We went back to the school in silence, carrying both Sensei and Jade. Caster and Rutile started working on them immediately. As Caster had speculated before, the inclusions on Jade's legs were dead, and while those in the rest of his body will eventually reclaim them and he will be able to walk again, whatever memory he had there was lost forever. He took the notice pretty well, as he was more worried about Sensei's health.

—How... how could something even hurt Sensei? —Euclase asked.

—That spear is made with a material almost identical to what Sensei is made from, and with the strength of it being thrown or something that Franny did to it, it managed to pierce him —Rutile explained—, we have all of his shards, so we should be able to fix him. However, his interior is way more complicated than anything I have seen before.

—Adamant isn't made of one piece of gem like all of you, he had many all sorts of mechanism and circuitry inside of him, some which seemed to have been damaged before, some which I had no idea how they looked when they were working properly —Caster added, looking very grimly.

—B-but, you can fix him with a spell, right? —Alexi said.

—Right?? —The Amethyst repeated, almost begging.

—I... I'll try —Caster promised, not sounding confident on her own words.

It was late and everyone was tired, so we all went to the spots in the big hall where we had been sleeping. However, we were all on the brink of despair, unsure of how we could even attempt to sleep after everything that had happened. I just sit in front of the pond, looking deep into the water.

—Uhmm, you... —I heard someone murmuring, but at first didn't paid attention—, the one who saved me earlier, with the green hair, errr... Phos! Yes, Phos!

I turned around and saw Jade, trying to come to where I was by dragging herself. I jumped and ran to him.

—Is there something wrong? —I asked with a worried tone.

—No, I'm fine, but I remembered something about the fight earlier and had to tell you about it.

—Me? Why me?

—You are Sensei's personal assistant, aren't you?

—I... I have neglected that job for some time —I said and sit next to him.

—It still the same, you are the one who have to step up now, until we fix Sensei.

I almost laugh at the idea, if only my face and emotions hadn't been frozen by what had happened.

—W-what did you wanted to tell me?

—When I went to attack that... Franny, I saw that the Lunarians were fighting against each other.

—What?

—Yes. Those weird blue ones and the servants were fighting against the regular ones, and Franny was holding the very tall one with the mask by the neck, and he was on his knees.

That information was very valuable, and I thanked Jade for telling me. Franny had been apparently telling the truth, she was trying to betray the Lunarians, but she had proven to be a worse enemy for us. The idea of making a deal with the Lunarians to go against Franny crossed my mind, but there were still too many factors unknown. To change a bit the topic, I told Jade we would make a wheelchair for him to move on his own until his legs recovered, and after explaining what a wheelchair was, he was delighted by the idea.

—So, did you forget about me?

—Ah! No, of course not... I just couldn't remember your name for a moment —he made a pause—, no, that's not entirely true. I remember when Sensei introduced you, when you became Sensei's assistant, and when you stayed awake all winter and got that weird gold alloy inside of you. But there are a lot of holes between those memories. It is the same with everyone... I know that I know them, but I forgot a lot about our daily lives...