Chapter 10: Staring Contests

(Music:  Undefeated)

     Recognition flashed in Murayama's brown eyes and his pale lips parted as words formed, "Doubt?" a maniac laugh mixed with the groans of the injured students, as Murayama's head tilted to one side in a mocking gesture, "Of what do I owe the pleasure?"  

     Doubt?  It made sense with the black clothes and all, the dirty handed group who got themselves stuck in everything illegal, but why where they here?  What purpose would it serve them to beat the trash out of Oya High, though it evidently was not a raid for if that was so then, one, there'd be more members, two they'd probably try for more stealth that just beating people crazy, and three they would've been long gone by the time the higher levels came back.  They wanted something, yes, but what was it that they couldn't just take it when everyone was away?

     Doubt's eyes pierced over the students, coldness in their gaze as if they knew your darkest secret and wouldn't care less to spill the beans.  Many flinched shoulders curling around in a frightened position as they fought to escape their gaze, filling me with disgust.  How could they?  They roared in here and at the smallest thing they wanted to run?!  Idiots.

     One of the six met my gaze, cocking my head to one side a sick smirk planting itself on my face I didn't back down, my eyes filling with a mixture of hate and anger.  A scoff escaped my lips as his gaze moved immediately a tinge of fear sparking beneath the twinkle in his eye.  Coward.

"You don't."  The slick deep voice like that of a bass filling the silence in the air like a voice across an ocean.

"Then leave."  Retorts Murayama his smile disappearing in seconds as his expression got barred with emotionless face of steel.

"When we get what we've came for."  The wistful voice of the leader of Doubt replies his brown orbs turning to me his gaze burning.

      Returning with fire of my own I proceeded pull a poker face, covering my feelings deep down as my mind raced with a mix of excitement, confusion, and a shimmer of fear.  Me?  What would Doubt want with me?  The leader's gaze made it clear enough that what they came for was me, but why?  I'd never met them before in all my life, neither had I bothered to even get caught in the dark underworld.  Messing up at school was different from all that stuff, I did petty and occasionally bigger things when I was bored.  However, nothing big enough to even cause a second glance from Doubt or any big group for that matter.  I didn't get drawn into that stuff, of that I was very careful.

     I'd had enough with my Dad up my neck about getting into fights at school, I had a good reason for not getting into bigger messes.

     Seemingly in slow motion Murayama twisted to the side following Doubt's line of sight right to the very end as he looked at me.  His facade of steel breaking but for a moment revealing the complete and utter confusion like that of an innocent child, and the frustration of his responsibilities and new choices he knew he'd have to make in but a moments time, but just like that it was gone.

     Furuya and Seki followed suit and it wasn't long before all of Oya High was staring as I stood firm glaring into the eyes of all who dared to meet them.  Without even a second break of holding up my own facade I forced words to form in my mouth filling the silence that seemed to eat it all whole.

"Tough luck, mate, you're going to be leaving without it." 

     I felt like I would crack under all the pressure, it wasn't like I'd been practising all my short life to be stared at by half a nation of some of the most feared groups in all of Japan!  I guess in one sense it was kind of exhilarating but it definitely wasn't worth it, not in the slightest.

     After what felt like an eternity he broke as he swung around marching out of Oya High and away but not before he shouted, "This is not over!"

We shall see . . . we shall see...