Chapter 11: Unspoken Rule

(Music:  The Score, Unstoppable)

     Murayama's dark orbs swivelled over the large audience of classmates, flashing wild with possibilities like mirrors to his soul.  With a quick nod to his partners he fleeted towards the school's closest set of stairs.  My gaze following after him until the dark shadows had completely dissolved all evidence of the leader of Oya High's presence.

"It would be better if you didn't make a fuss."  Furuya whispered placing a firm grip on my arm.

     My judging gaze flitted between Furuya and Seki as I weighed my chances, coming to a single conclusion.

"Fine."  I replied through gritted teeth, and let the two lead me to God knows where.

     I was led to what appeared to be an abandoned classroom at the far side of the school

     The musty smell of old books and paper mixed with the distinct smell of fresh paint clung to the room like leaches.  Dust hung everywhere and from anything coating the floor like a grey carpet.  Wind whistled through the broken windows that lined two walls of the dusty room.  The remains of what once was a well kept classroom lay in scattered smithereens.  A single rusty chair was the only thing still intact.

     Which naturally meant that Murayama was sitting on it, who ever cared about offering a chair to a girl anyway?  

"What do they want with you?"  Murayama's head cocked to one side a hint of confusion mixed with his usual crazy self as if he could not comprehend why Doubt was obsessed with me.

     Yanking my arm, I shot Furuya a sharp glare as he released his steel clasp before training my attention on Oya High's leader, mild annoyance already threading it's way through my skin.

"How should I know?"  I grumble plopping down on the ground with a thud.

     Catching Furuya sending Murayama a look, one that screamed she-is-lying, I couldn't help but scoff.  As if he would know..

     The leader leaned back his hand stretching up to re-adjust his bandana, ruffling his raven hair in the process before narrowing his eyes on my ragged frame, "Figured, since they knew you."

     Throwing my arms around wildly for further emphasis to the point that I was well and truly clueless at this point, I replied, "Never met 'em."

     Seki grunted from annoyance in the corner.  The other two sharing a glance, trying to determine what to do in this unexpected situation.

"This isn't a shelter, SWORD's balance is thin, why should we help you?"  Furuya's brow creased as anger swirled just below the surface waiting to break through.

     Pressing my elbows against my knees I used them as a headrest as I pondered the idea.

Why?

     Why, exactly...  I don't know them nor would I say had any great love for them, and if the tables were turned I'd of sent them packing out the door!  So why?  Sure, I was part of their silly little group, but that ain't mean dirt.  All the students here had their own problems, near everyone needed help with something, yet they still had to deal with it themselves.  Your problems are your own, it was the unspoken rule.

     However, why exactly was this my problem?  I never met the crazies in all my life, so just cause they knew me, magically made it my problem?  Don't think so, if I did something, then sure it's my fault.  But if I ain't, I ain't.  And I surely ain't dealing with something I didn't cause.  Yet it didn't seem like I had a choice in the matter, I'd have to deal with it one way or another the question was, do I need help with it?

"I can deal with my own junk,"  Heaving myself to my feet I swung around and left, ignoring the surprised expressions and the faintest smile on the leader's face.