Chapter 4

The minute his lips are on mine, I forget to breath.  After what feels like an eternity, I have to pull away and take a gulp of air.  I had never been kissed like this.  The passion that is emitting from him is unlike anything I have ever experienced.  I don't want this to ever stop.  Thankfully he doesn't seem to either.  The minute I pull away for air, his mouth is back to claiming mine.

I moan loudly and I can hear him chuckle from within.  His fingers are entangled in my hair and he starts to pull softly.  I begin to overthink what is happening and I have to break the kiss.

"Jared, ummm"

"Shhh just let it happen."

My mind is moving a thousand miles per second.  I start flashing over the last few days.  Then I start thinking about the last hour.  My mind wanders to what happened prior to him showing up at the restaurant.  I want to stop my thoughts and lean back in for a kiss.  I go to do just that and then... 'wait a second.' I stop.

'How did he know?' I think to myself.

As if he is reading my mind he says, "what's wrong?"

"Jared how did you know where Shayla was eating?"

"She told me."

"No she didn't. I was there.  She didn't say anything."

I look into his eyes and I can tell there is something he wants to tell me, but I also see a battle raging on behind his cool facade. I don't know how we are so in tune with each other... but I can tell there's something going on.

"Don't lie, Jared. Just tell the truth, here and now... how did you know?"

"She told me before she left for the day."

He chose the lie. I knew I couldn't trust him going forward and as much as it pained me, I was going to get up and leave. I had my share of bad relationships and I wasn't willing to have another, I didn't want the one man I adored above all others be the person who completely broke me. I stand up and walk to the opening of the trail.

He calls after me, but I am not interested in anything he has to say. I keep walking. I am surprised he isn't following me, but then I became aware that I did hear him about ten feet behind me. The thought that he is still a nice guy almost makes me turn and run into his arms. I can't give in to his good looks and charm. I stay the course. Only problem is, I should have reached the gate already and I haven't. I huff.

"You went down the wrong trail." He says matter of fact.

"Okay, will you show me the right way?"

"Only if you tell me why you're leaving?"

"I don't want to have this conversation with you, Jared. You're a grown man, you know what you did. You know why I am leaving!"

"No I don't. Why don't you enlighten me?"

"Jared, I can't be around people I can't trust. You know nothing about me or my past, so I don't expect you to fully understand. Just please show me the way back to your truck and take me home?"

I turn around and start walking past him. He reaches out for me and nearly grabs me, but I'm too quick. He sighs and begins walking behind me.

"Turn here."

I don't see any place that I can turn and I stop dead in my tracks.

"Where?"

"Here." He points down a hidden trail that I cannot see.

I begin walking, but my left heel gets stuck in some underbrush and I start tumbling. Instinctively I reach out to grab him, which brings him down with me.