The Celebration

That very night, when I got home, I went straight to the bathroom to look in the mirror. I closed my eyes, took a deep breath and tried smirking again. I opened my eyes and saw that very smirk plastered on my face. This is great. I stood there admiring the change on my face. Again, this is great.

I did try smiling, because I thought since I could smirk, I could smile. But I couldn't. I guess it was because I haven't used those muscles before, so I don't know how to work and form it on my face.

I decided to go back into the living room and wait for my parents to arrive, so I could show them my good news.

I sat down on my couch and turned on the tv and started watching a movie. I sat there still touching my mouth, still having trouble comprehending what happened. 

I looked at the clock and noticed my parents wouldn't be home in another 2 hours, so getting bored of sitting on the couch I got up and decided to sit outside for a bit.

"Hey Red." I said calmly while opening up the sliding door. He ran to me, tail wagging, but stopped and tilted his head.

"I guess you noticed, the smirk on my face huh?" I asked him as I sat down on the porch swing. He answered, by barking and continued walking towards me wagging his tail wildly and started giving me kisses.

"I know I'm happy about it too." I said calming him down.

"So you do get happy sometimes?" A voice asked.

Me and Red lifted both our heads and started looking everywhere to see where that voice was coming from. "Who's there?" I asked getting up from my seat.

"Calm down it's just me." I scanned the back yard and then saw Ella climbing over my fence, falling on her face in the process. "Ow that hurt." She said rubbing her head. Serves her right.

Red started barking and ran to her sniffing her curious on who the trespasser was. "Whoa he doesn't bite does he?" She asked looking at him scared.

I smirked what a baby, "No he's harmless, unless I tell him otherwise."

She looked at him backing away then back at me who was smirking, "That's not funny Ava." She said getting mad, but I just sat back down smirking.

She eventually got up, petting Red in the process, and walked towards me leaning against the porch post. "You're such a meany head Ava." She said pouting but soon smiled at me.

"Why didn't you just go through the gate like a normal person?" I asked. She looked at the gate then back at me crossing her arms and furrowing her brows, like she was confused.

"I don't know? I usually don't think when I do things." She said giving a small laugh. 

"So I've noticed." I said bluntly.

We continued talking the remainder of the time until my parents finally got home and let me tell you, hearing my mom's crying and my dad's laughing and cheering, annoyed me so much, but at that moment I couldn't help but feel happy at the same time. I know it may not be a big deal for most people, but it is for us. Getting told by numerous people that your daughter wouldn't be able to express or feel most emotions, for the rest of her life, put a downer on us. So this, even if it is just a smirk and getting aroused, but I won't tell my parents that part, brought hope for all of us including me and maybe one day I will be able to understand love.

"Oh Ava, I can't express how happy I am right now!" My mom said hugging me and kissing me. 

"I think your crying and screaming covered that for you." I said patting her back feeling uncomfortable with the contact.