prologue

Did you ever feel like running

Away? Just suddenly leaving.

No note, no warning. Just getting

Your shit, and leaving.

~ whisper

ZOEY's POV.

My name is Zoey Williams I grew up with a single mother who despised me but I love her so much because my father left me before I was even born. My mother Susan Rayners Williams is all I have. She's my only family and that's why I can't hate her no matter what she does to me. She could beat me up all day and I could never hurt her.

She made sure I worked for everything I have even at high school she made sure I got a scholarship. She's a lawyer, everyone fares her, she's rich but if people saw me they would think I'm not her daughter.

"Zoey." I heard her shout my name again. I'm eighteen and I never in my life touched a drink thanks to my stict mother.

"Yes mom." I said coming downstairs and that's when I saw we had visitors. John Mars only son of Bruno and Mary. I despised John Mars. His the biggest jerk and I hate him so much. The beginning of the year I found out that he had a thing for me, but I didn't care and plus rumors are just rumors. Even if it was true nothing would ever happen between us. I don't like him, I see him as that stepbrother that hates his stepsister even though we aren't related and our parents are just friends.

"Are you just going to keep staring at me?" He asked. I just rolled my eyes at him not because I was annoyed but because I'm sick and tired of him trying to get on with me.

"Zoey, are you not going to greet ?" My mother asked acting as I'm her angel when she makes sure that I know I ruined her life. At the age of seventeen she got knocked up but of course she blames me for that.

"Hi Aunt Mary." I said waving as it was more like bye and leave please.

"Come sit Zoey." My mother told me and I did, after all it was the first time she asked.

"So everything is going according to the plan." Aunt Mary asked as my mother nod her head happy. What the hell is even going according to the plan?

Aunt Mary and my mom kept talking on and on about business and I didn't care. I was so bored and John just kept flirting with me. As soon as the meeting was over my mother was so happy as she walked them out and came back still smiling.

"Zoey." She said smiling. "You getting married sweetheart." She said happy. For the first time my mother was taking to me happy, and this time I knew she wasn't acting but I was definitely not happy that she was happy. How can I be happy when I just graduated from high school a few months ago.

"What ?" I said confused and shocked. Is she for real ? How can she be happy about something like this. And who the fuck is my fiancé?

"You and John are getting married." She said taking her glass trying to make a toast.

"No!" I shouted angry making her shock and confused. This is the first time I ever refused my mother. I ran upstairs not wanting to talk to her any longer because if I do she's just going to beat me up.