Chapter 8- Promise?

"Promise what?"  You stuttered out between astonished gasps.

Wait... who even is this spirit?

It looked down at you, it's white eyes making you uncomfortable and making you shift your weight to the other foot and back again. Those empty white orbs boring through your being. It was as if a black hole was dragging you in - making you want to go but knowing if you succumbed to the gravity sucking you in, you would be erased from existence. You met its gaze for a moment and almost toppled over.

It was trying to entrance you.

You shook your head violently, feeling it's mental claws dig its way through your mind. You grunted and pushed past the spirit.

Focus, just keep away from it.

You hurried down the stairs and into the centre of the Bath House. The sweet smelling steam made you loosen up a bit. The workers were moving in an almost automated way. Their bodies knew what to do without them having to guide it. You noticed especially how as you walked by, conversations died to whispers and gazes became toxic. It's not like you had asked for this to happen - if you had it your way, you'd be working along side them.

"Master Haku's concubine."

You whipped your head towards the source of the comment and found no one was paying attention to you any longer. They were too busy to focus on you, yet that flying insult seemed to carve its way onto your skin, making a permanent home.

You could feel the presence of the spirit following you. It was your shadow and you were it's being. It wasn't going to leave anytime soon that's one sure thing. At a brisk pace, you walked through the house to the front gates.

You needed some fresh air.

And you needed to figure out what the hell was going on.

As the cold night air hit your face, you bit your lip and closed your eyes.

Calm...

"Promiseeeee..."

You whipped your head around staring at the spirit as it whispered in that hoarse voice of its. You shivered and planted your feet firmly on the ground, you had had enough of this and finally started to take a stand.

"Promise what?" You hissed back at the hovering ghost of a creature.

"Hiiiiiiiiimmmmm...." it croaked in a shallow voice.

What?

"Him? What do you mean!? Who even ARE you!?" Questions started to work their way up to your mouth and jump at anytime they were given the chance.

"Hhheee neeeeeeddsss heellllppp..." it moved slightly closer to you, now peering down at you from its levitating height.

"Who? What are you talking about?" You placed your hands on your hips in a questioning manner, you couldn't understand this... thing.

It was boring it's piercing gaze through your very being. It unnerved you to no end making you want to shrivel into a ball and cower in a corner. You wanted to be left alone and never touched nor breathed near again.

"Hakuuuu..."

A/N

"Why would you ever kiss me, I'm not even half as pretty"
-Heather, Conan Gray

-AA

(edited)