Sorting

"HUFFLEPUFF!!"

Professor McGonagall took the hat off Velinda Malfoy-Riddle's head and pointed her in the direction of the table of happy people cheering for her. Velinda stood up and started screaming at the top of her lungs.

"NO NO NO THIS CANNOT BE HAPPENING, I'M SUPPOSED TO BE IN SLYTHERIN!!!"

"I am very sorry, Miss Malf-"

"Riddle. My last name is Riddle NOT Malfoy!"

"Very well then. I'm sorry Miss Riddle, but, the sorting hat has chosen. You can't change. Now go over there and join your house!" McGonagall told Velinda sternly.

She huffed loudly and reluctantly walked over to the Hufflepuff table, she sat down with her back to the Gryffindors. Velinda looked longingly to the Slytherin table where she knew she should be sitting. She accidentally made eye contact with her scumbag half brother, Draco. He gave her a disgusted look and then went back to talking to Crabbe and Goyle.

Velinda pulled a face back at him, then placed her face in her hands to hide the tears that suddenly started streaming down her face. Everyone else at her table started cheering again as a short girl with long blonde plaits skipped over to them. The cheerful girl slid onto the bench right next to Velinda.

"Hi, my name is Ellie Macmillan," she said holding out her hand to Velinda, "Are you alright? Why didn't you want to be in Hufflepuff? Everyone else at our table seems to be scared of you but I thought that you would need a friend, so here I am!"

"I'm fine, I wanted to be in Slytherin because that's the house that both my parents were in and I'm Velinda by the way," Velinda said trying to sound nice, but then she took Ellie's outstretched hand, squeezed it hard and then twisted her arm, "Now leave me alone. I don't want your pity!"

Velinda let go of Ellie and pushed her away. Ellie ran to a boy who looked like he was a third-year and started crying.

"Attention!" Dumbledore's voice echoed throughout the Great Hall. "I would like to welcome you all back for another exciting year at Hogwarts. Before we start the feast, I would also like to welcome the newest addition to our staff. The new Defense Again the Dark Arts teacher is Professor Lupin. Stand up Remus."

A scruffy looking man wearing a scruffy brown suit stood up at the staff table and everyone except Slytherin cheers. He waved and then sat back down.

"Thank you," Dumbledore said to make everyone stop talking, "Now, let the feast begin."

Suddenly the golden plates on the tables filled with all sorts of food. After everyone had been stuffing their faces with food for about ten minutes, the girl who was sitting next to the boy stood up and went to sit next to Velinda.

"Why did you hurt Ellie earlier?"

"Because I'm upset and she came too close. Word of warning, you might want to pass along the message, I don't like people taking pity on me and if I'm clearly upset. Stay away from me." Velinda answered, getting seriously annoyed.

"Look, Ellie is a nice girl and I think somewhere deep down so are you. If you weren't, you wouldn't be in Hufflepuff. You should try being nice. My name is Hannah. Abbott. What's your name?"

"I'm Velinda Riddle."

"Riddle? I feel like I've heard that name before, who are your parents?"

"My mother is Narcissa Malfoy and my father is Voldemort," Velinda said taking a bite out of a chicken drumstick.

Hannah gasped really loudly.

"You said his name!"

"Why wouldn't I? There's nothing wrong with saying it!"