Chapter 6

Patrick

        I arrived at Pete's house quickly. There really was no band meet, and I regretted lying to Christa like I did, but I needed some time to think away from her even if I wanted to be next to her. I was happy Pete was okay with me just coming over to his house at spontaneous times, he is truly my best friend.

        “So 'Trick, what's up?” Pete had just finished his call to the local pizza joint and plopped himself down on the couch beside me, eyes affixed on me.

        “Well, you know I've never been very talented in the area of life involving women...” He laughed at this remark and I had to wait for him to silence before continuing, “and as you know, I've been dating Christa for two years today... I just don't want to mess anything up.” I gave him pleading eyes hoping he knew where I was going. At first he stared back at me with a confused expression written across his face, but after a second, the light bulb went off and he looked at me slightly surprised.

        “Oh!” He hesitated before speaking again and I shifted so I stared at the black screen fitted on the T.V. He cleared his throat and spoke low, “Are you sure she isn't another Anna? I mean, she's only experienced this one tour...” I snapped my head around to lock eyes with him. He jumped back a bit at my sudden movement and sank into the couch a bit.

        “No, Pete.” Even I heard the agitation in my voice. “I can't believe you'd think that. I learned from Anna, and Christa is nothing like her at all. She's sweet, loyal, and perfect. She would never pull a dick move like Anna.” He seemed to cower a bit at the spite in my voice. “Sorry for snapping... Christa is just perfect, and I hate to hear her being compared to Anna. I mean, I don't hate Anna, dislike her yes, but there is no way I could ever hate Christa.” I sighed very audibly and I felt him pat my back. I put my face into my hands and spoke through the space between my palms, “Plus, part of my heart was missing on tour... it was killing me being away from her all those months... never felt so much longing for someone, not even Anna.”

        “Okay 'Trick.” He rubbed my back in between my shoulder blades slightly before patting the spot again. “Well, I've seen you guys together and you both stare at each other with such love and passion. Plus, you guys have been together two years and she loves you no less now than she did before tour, right?” I nodded. “I don't think you could mess this up no matter what you do.”

        I pulled my hands away from my face and looked at him, making sure there was no doubt in his eyes towards his words. He offered a warm smile that broke any suspicion I had and I was able to smile back. I pulled a paper out of my pocket and handed it to him. When he took it he studied it and smiled again before handing it back.

        “It's gorgeous Patrick, she'll love it.” I shoved the picture back into my pocket. We ended up just talking about weird things that happened while we were on tour, for me it was someone passing by in the mirror I was looking at and then nobody was there when I turned around, until the doorbell rang. “PIZZA!” He practically jumped off the couch and bounded over to the front door.

        That man is such a kid when it comes to his pizza.

        I walked to the kitchen and pulled out two Cokes before making my way back to the living room to find Pete eating two slices of pizza at once. I sat the two bottles onto the table and quickly grabbed a piece before they were all gone. After what seemed like only a few minutes, I looked at the almost gone pizza and decided to talk upcoming band plans with him so my message to Christa wasn't a total lie. Pete got excited when I brought up the question and talked about a bunch of festivals coming up that had called asking if we'd be able to come and even another tour for next year.

        “Monumentour!” I raised an eyebrow at his sudden exclamation of this word. “That's the name!” He devoured the last slice of pizza and beamed with excitement. We discussed what we could do for the next tour until I looked at my phone and noticed it was a quarter until two. I said my goodbyes to Pete and headed towards the door when he stopped me.

        “Hey Patrick,” he gave me a quick hug, “Good luck.” He patted my shoulder before giving me a playful shove out the door. “Now get out of my goddamn house.” He gave me a wink and thumbs up before closing the door,

        Yes, Pete's right. I won't mess anything up... it will all be fine. I just need to do it.

        I got to my car and sat in it for a minute before driving off. My confidence fading more and more every inch I got closer to the house. I pulled into the driveway and glanced over at Christa's car already parked in it's place.

        I can't do this.