Chapter 7

Christa

        I was just cleaning up from my special lunch preparation when I heard a car door slam. I ran over to the window and moved the curtains out of the way just enough to see Patrick walking up to the house.

        He's back!

        I skipped back into the kitchen to rinse my hands off and then ran my fingers through my hair to make myself look decent. I heard the doorknob turn and walked out to meet him. I barely gave him enough time to look around because as soon as he looked at me, I ran up and hugged him tightly. At first he didn't hug back, which caused me to almost pull away, but he finally did after his short hesitation.

         “Happy Anniversary 'Tricky!” I gave him a quick peck on the cheek and nuzzled my face into his neck. I took a deep breathe in to take in his scent; he smelled like pizza. I gave a chuckle into his shoulder before pulling back. I smiled widely at him, but he just barely lifted the corners of his mouth in return, causing my smile to fade a bit.

        “Happy Anniversary...” He walked past me and started walking up the stairs without another word or look back.

        “There's something for you in the bedroom, I picked it up earlier...” I desperately called up to him from the bottom of the stairs. “Hope you like th-” I stopped when I heard the bedroom door close.

        The fuck did I do now? Was I too clingy? I walked back into the kitchen to start lunch. I dropped the pasta into the water. No, he just had a long morning. I stared blankly at the pasta and after a little while of silence or the occasional footstep coming from upstairs I caught one with my spoon to test. I popped it into my mouth, hit with an intense burning sensation spreading on my tongue from the hot water that I forgot to get off. I bit into the piece of pasta quickly to try and get it away from the side of my tongue that was now burnt and found that it was perfectly al dente, so I grabbed the pot of water and poured it out into the drainer. The only plus side to right now, I still know how to cook pasta.

        I went on a search for my pronged spoon when I heard Patrick coming down the stairs. I peeked around the corner and saw him go straight to the couch and flip on the T.V. He usually comes in at least to see what I'm making... I swallowed back my thoughts and continued on the search for the spoon until I realized I used it for cooking the pasta. Smart. I scooped out a small portion of pasta and threw it into a bowl. I started making my way to the fridge to grab the Parmesan cheese when I almost fell face first to the floor after slipping in water I must have spilled when carrying the pot. It took a second for me to recover, and when I did, my child side kicked in. I went back to the counter, and then ran towards the fridge so I'd get my feet wet and slide. I posed after I came to a stop and cracked up at how stupid I must look. What if Patrick is watching? I instantly stopped and collected myself, making sure I stepped over the puddle on my way to my bowl. I poured on some cheese and grabbed a fork out of the drawer. I silently slid out of the kitchen and walked over to the end of the couch.

        Patrick stared directly at the screen giving me no notice. I furrowed my brow but shook that expression off my face and replaced it with a smile. I held the bowl out towards him. “Hey, I made your favorite lunch- pasta with some fresh cheese.” I stood there waiting for him to respond, but only saw his jaw clench.

        “I'm not hungry.” Nothing more. Those three simple words. No eye contact. Nothing. I sat down in the chair tucked into the corner of the room and curled up into a ball with the bowl resting up against my thighs. It burned a bit, yes, but I didn't care. I ended up sitting there for the longest time raveled in my thoughts and twirling the pasta around my fork just to put it back in the bowl. I haven't eaten all day, my stomach reminded me of that, but whenever I'm upset I can't eat. And right now I am upset.

        I placed the bowl on the coffee tablet and just stared at it. All of a sudden Penny came up and jumped up on the table. She was inches from the bowl when I grabbed it away. She looked at me with such a bitchy look too; it read “the fuck are you doing with my food bitch?” and it was adorable. I gave her a quick scratch behind the ear before heading off to the kitchen to put away lunch. Looks like all this food is just gonna go to waste... but hey, I have dinner now... I know movie night won't happen at this rate. I finished putting it up and slugged back to my chair. I laid down on it so I was facing Patrick and noticed his jacket resting on the arm of the couch, so I took it and wrapped up in it. I sank into it, letting the good memories flood in and push these new negative ones back. It worked pretty well, I even fell asleep for an hour, until I heard the remote control clink against the table and I pulled myself out of the warm fabric.