Chapter 9

“I need to use the restroom.” He told me where it was and I slowly made my way to it. I felt myself start to cry again and before I knew it I was sitting up against the door crying into my knees. I sat there for a good amount of time allowing my jeans to soak up all my tears before standing up and looking at myself in the mirror. My eyes were puffy, my hair was all kinds of messed up, and I just looked awful in general. I pulled my hair up into a pony tail and wiped my eyes with some toilet paper to try and make myself more presentable. It didn't work. I sighed and pushed the handle on the toilet down so he thinks I really did use the bathroom and made my way back into the living room. When passing by Pete's chair, his phone lit up and I read who the message was from.

        Patrick.

        “What did I do?” My body started racking with sobs as I stood there behind his chair. Pete seemed startled as he jumped up from his chair to face me.

        “Christa...” He opened his arms and tried to wrap me in another hug but I dodged it. He looked at me for a second with sympathy in his before looking down at his phone. I started walking, but he held out his arm to keep me back and ended up pulling me in hug anyways. I couldn't help but breathe in his scent. Pizza, just like Patrick. I stayed there resting on his shoulder, breathing out my mouth so I wasn't reminded of Patrick anymore.

        “Christa.” He pulled away and shot a huge smile my way.

        “The fuck are you so hap-”

        “Go home!” He still smiled but I could here that it wasn't a suggestion, it was a command. Why is he so happy all of a sudden? I had stopped crying a while ago and now I stared at him out of pure confusion as he nudged me to the front door of his house. “Trust me. Go.” He opened the door and gave me a pat on the shoulder before motioning towards the exit. I walked out, not taking my eyes off of him while I passed, and heard the door shut behind me as soon as I stepped out. So many questions rattled through my brain as I made my way to my car and then to the house. I pulled up in the driveway and stared at the house. I cut off the engine and rested my head against the steering wheel.

        Why was Pete so happy? What did Patrick tell him? Did he tell Pete that he was going to call 'us' off? Did he hate me too? Why did Patrick hate me in the first place? What is gonna happen when I walk in there? He'll probably just tell me to move out. Happy Anniversary...

        I dragged myself out of the car and up to the front door, pausing and debating if I should go in or drive and not stop. I laid my hand on the door handle. My hand seemed frozen in place; I wanted to move it but my body didn't do what my brain said. Then the door swung open and I was being pulled inside. The door was shut and Patrick stood in front of it. My escape route is gone. I stared down at the floor and waited the yelling to commence, but instead I was being pulled into Patrick's warm embrace. I stood there not hugging him back, stunned at the lack of anger. I could feel his shaky breaths, warm against my cool skin, as he held me tightly. I finally lifted my arms up to wrap him up and sunk my face into the nook of his should and neck. We stood there, wrapped around each other for what seemed like an hour, before he finally pulled away. I took this time to look at him; he looked just as a mess as I did.