0 | Prologue

Tallahassee, Florida 

Rachel

When Miles looked at me and told me he wanted to join the Army, I truthfully thought he was joking.

"The Army? Miles, are you serious?" I asked after Luke and Brooke took off to the apartment. Miles and I sat in the quad, still in our graduation gowns.

He looked down and back up at me. "I'm sorry I didn't tell you. I was applying for job after job, and when I applied for the one with the US Army Corps of Engineers, I didn't realize I would actually have to enlist," he insisted, taking both of my hands in his.

I considered this and nodded. "I understand. I'm not mad at you, I just... the Army?" I repeated.

"Rachel, the opportunity is golden. It's a dream job for an engineer... and the military benefits are life-long, even for my spouse," he said pointedly.

I sighed. "You really want to do this, don't you?"

He swallowed then nodded. "Yeah. I do... but only if you're okay with it, Rachel, because our relationship is the most important thing in the world to me."

I bit my lip. "I know. But I've already..."

"Signed up for classes, I know... We'll figure it out, hon," he said, running his thumb along my knuckles.

I nodded. "Call the Staff Sergeant. Tell him you're on your way to the office."

His eyes lit up and he jumped up, spinning me around in a circle.

"I love you so much, Rachel Cross," he whispered, kissing me gently.

"I love you too, Miles," I murmured.

The Army?