40 | Savior

All systems go, the sun hasn't died
Deep in my bones, straight from inside

-Imagine Dragons, "Radioactive"

Panama City Beach, Florida

Miles

"Rachel? I – I need you to come get me," I mumbled, closing my eyes and pressing my forehead to the wall above the phone.

"What? Where are you?" she asked, her voice high and questioning.

"Um, downtown. At – at the police station," I whispered, gritting my teeth in anticipation of her response.

There was silence on the other end of the line for a moment before she exclaimed, "Excuse me?!"

"Rachel, please, stay calm. I can explain. Just please come get me and I'll tell you what happened when you get here," I pleaded. "I can't talk long."

"Okay, okay. I'll be there soon. What am I supposed to do with Lily? Where's Brooke?"

"Brooke is at the... Brooke is at the hospital. Don't worry, she's just getting checked out. She's going to be okay. Drop Lily off with my mom; I know she's home," I said, and looked up to see a cop looking down at me with his arms crossed, tapping his foot. "Rach, I gotta go. Just hurry, okay? I love you."

"Okay, Miles. I love you too," she said and hung up the phone.

"Come on," the cop, Officer Johnson, said, leading me back into his office and closing the door. After we both settled in, he behind his desk and me in a chair directly across from him, he spoke again. "Your friend was lucky you were there," he said, and I nodded.

"I wish I hadn't blacked out the way I did, though... I didn't have to kick his ass that hard," I admitted.

Officer Johnson shrugged. "Honestly, that guy has been evading arrest for a long time. He's a pretty prominent drug dealer in the Bay area. You may have kicked his ass, but at least now he's behind bars." He cleared his throat. "After he gets out of the ER," he added.

I put my hand over my mouth to hide my grin and coughed. "Well, I'm sure he'll be fine. A broken nose and jaw will heal pretty fast," I said.

Officer Johnson smirked and moved some papers around on his desk. "Mr. Harrison may decide to press charges, though, Miles. Just because he is in custody doesn't stop him from doing that. I just want you to be prepared for it" he said seriously.

I shrugged. "That's fine. I'll deal with that when it comes. I'm just glad Jordan can't hurt Brooke anymore."

He nodded. "Absolutely. And even if he does press charges, it is likely that they will be dropped almost as soon as they are filed. You beat him up, yes, but you did it to protect your friend."

I opened my mouth to respond but was interrupted by a knock at Officer Johnson's door.

"Come in," he said, and the door opened to reveal an officer escorting Rachel into the office.

Her eyebrows dipped low when she entered, and she ran straight to me and hugged me around the neck. "Miles, baby. Are you okay?"

I wrapped my arms around her and kissed her cheek. "I'm fine. Let's get out of here and I'll tell you everything."

"O – okay," she said, straightening up and nodding a greeting to Officer Johnson, who stood and shook her hand.

"You must be Rachel. Don't worry, Miss. Miles did the right thing, even if he didn't go about it in the right way," he offered.