15 | Apologies

I will dry your eyes

I will fight your fight

I will hold you tight

And I won't let go.

-Rascal Flatts, "I Won't Let Go"

Panama City Beach, Florida

Brooke

When Rachel didn't answer my text messages, I called her until she picked up. When she finally did, I could tell she had been crying.

"Rachel, baby. What's wrong?" I asked, not even bothering to say hello.

"Ugh," she groaned. "I don't want to talk about it, B."

"Well, tough shit. You're gonna talk about it. What happened?" I pressed.

She sighed heavily, and I waited patiently. Eventually, she started talking, and oh boy, was it a story. I was quiet the entire time, which was very difficult for me.

After she was done, I had a list of questions.

"So wait. This Alex guy hit on you?"

"Yeah... and don't ask why because I literally have no idea. He knows I'm happily engaged," she moaned.

"Okay. And your friend Brittany likes him?"

"Well, she did. Right now she's pretty pissed at him."

"Why? He can't help it if he doesn't like her that way," I pointed out.

"Right. But she's mad at him for coming on to me too... and if you knew Brittany." She stopped and sighed. "You'd understand."

"So, what happened? Did you kick them out?" I asked.

"Yeah, when I finally got off the phone with Miles, I told them they needed to leave, and we'd discuss this later," she said.

"So obviously, Miles is upset because this dude hit on you," I started.

"Yeah, but also because he was at our apartment tonight... and because I can't promise him I'll stay away from Alex. He's in my program. It'd be impossible," she finished.

"Well, Miles will get over it," I said.

"I know, but we wasted our monthly FaceTime on this," she whispered, and a sob escaped her throat.

"Oh, honey. I'm sorry... that does suck..." I grinned suddenly. "Would it make you feel better if Luke and I FaceTimed you?"

She laughed. "Yeah, that would be good."

I pressed a button on the screen and motioned for Luke to join me. Rachel's sad, puffy face appeared on screen, and I stuck out my lower lip.

"Aww, Rach," I said, and Luke mimicked my expression.

"That face is about to change," he said, and she tilted her head to the side.

"How so?" she asked.

"I need to tell you something," I started, and I saw her sit up straighter.

"What? What is it?" she asked, her eyes regaining some of their usual sparkle.

I grinned. "You're gonna be an aunty in about eight months," I said, and the smile that shattered her gloomy expression meant everything to me.

"WHAT?! OH MY GOD, YOU GUYS!" she exclaimed, putting her free hand to her collarbone. "I am so happy for you guys! This is amazing!"

I was happy to share our news with her, and even more happy that it had pulled her from her melancholy.