24 | Olive Branch

Just to see you smile

I'd do anything that you wanted me to

When all is said and done, I'd never count the cost

It's worth all that's lost

Just to see you smile.

-Tim McGraw, "Just to See You Smile" 

Tallahassee, Florida

Rachel

On December 9th, the Friday before the last day of class, the counseling department had planned a holiday party. We were asked to dress formally and bring our significant others, if we had them.

Which, ordinarily, I would be excited about.

Except... Alex would be there. And I was definitely not looking forward to that meeting. But I had to go to the party, and I was not going to go without Miles.

"Oh, I'd love to come meet your professors," Miles said as he put the last dish in the dishwasher.

I swallowed. "Yeah, that'll be nice." I paused a moment before going on. "You should also know... Alex will be there," I said, dropping my voice on the last sentence.

He turned around and closed the dishwasher door with his hip, looking at me. "Oh, is that right?" he asked, his blue eyes glinting.

"Now, Miles. You have to promise to be good. Please do not embarrass me," I begged.

He kissed me on the forehead and smiled. "I won't. I promise," he said, holding his fingers up and saluting Scout's Honor.

I cocked my head to the side. "You really expect me to believe that you're not going to make a scene?" I asked in amusement, hopping up on the counter and letting my legs dangle against the cabinets.

He smirked at me and stood between my knees, putting his hands on my hips and squeezing slightly. "I won't make a scene and embarrass you," he repeated. "But..." he started, kissing my neck gently. "It will be made known that I'm yours," he murmured, his lips moving from my neck to my collarbone.

I grinned and rested my head against the cabinet behind me. "Is that right?"

"Mmhmm," he hummed against my skin.

***

"Rachel, baby. Are you almost ready?" Miles called from the living room.

"Yes! Two minutes!" I called back, putting the finishing touches on my hair – which was curled down my back – and spritzing setting spray on my face so my makeup would stay in place.

I smoothed my forest green satin a-line dress, grabbed my purse, and walked down the hall to the living room, where my lips parted in surprise.

Miles was wearing his dress uniform, looking absolutely gorgeous. They hadn't worn these at graduation, so I had never seen him in them before. I was so proud of him; my heart was full to bursting.

"Miles... you look so handsome!" I murmured, running my fingers down the lapel of his jacket and then along the ribbon rack on one side of his chest and his name tag on the other.

He smiled and kissed my forehead. "You're beautiful. And you said formal, so I figured I'd use this excuse to break out the dress uniform."

I grinned. "Well, I'm glad you did." I hooked my arm through his. "I can't wait to show you off."